Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever field dressed a snapping turtle? How do you do it and prepare the meat? does anyone think they smell bad or had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever field dressed a snapping turtle? How do you do it and prepare the meat? does anyone think they smell bad or had

Has anyone ever field dressed a snapping turtle? How do you do it and prepare the meat? does anyone think they smell bad or had em kicking and moving while you were cuttin it up?

Never “field dressed” them. Bring home alive if possible and place in fresh water bath for a week to purge.
    Otherwise shoot them between the eyes with .22, push clothes hanger type wire through the hole wrapping it around lower and upper jaw. Snapper can bite several hours after death. Scald in boiling water, hang by wire, cut off all claws and use filet knife to “unzip” along the hard top shell and lower soft shell. Remove guts and filet the meat out of the hard shell. Use the filet knife to remove the skin as you would filet a fish.
    Muscle tissue will continue moving a lot during this process. If you have not lost your appetite yet: soak meat in mild salt water solution overnight, drain and pat dry.
    Season to taste, roll in flour & or corn meal and fry. Also makes good vegetable based soup.
    A snappers has 7 distinctly different flavored meats – enjoy.

Comment

Just like Charlie said but you can change the soak to milk or butter milk and I think it will taste better. It is always advisable to purge anything but to avoid divorce or hospital visits be sure and cover you tank/tube with HEAVY GAUGE wire or the little fellow may get out!

Comment

It is easier but more barbaric just to use a tomahawk to get to the meat. In a survival situation, you can get inside the shell if you can, cutting out the offal. Just throw on the coals to cook.

Comment

my great grandpa used to use the wire hanger trick but is the meat really worth killing it? it doesnt tast very good and you can probably buy it cheaper and easier off line

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
            by fitch270
            And choke tubes!...
            Today, 10:48 PM
          • Hey Folks
            by jhjimbo
            Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
            Yesterday, 11:12 AM
          • Reply to Hey Folks
            by fitch270
            Reloading? Have you heard there’s a primer shortage?...
            Today, 10:47 PM
          • Reply to Hey Folks
            by fitch270
            Actually the old style reel mowers are fairly popular with the granola crowd around here. If you have a small yard they do make sense and as a bonus you...
            Today, 10:45 PM
          • Reply to As Bad As It Gets
            by 99explorer
            There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
            Today, 10:30 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X