Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can i use to grease my reels with that is cheap

Dont want to get scammed by big claims

That depends on the worth of your reels. It they are good quality equipment, I would not be worried about cost of lubricants ! If they are not wotrh the money to maintain them, then I guess cchheeaapp is alright and it would make no difference what was used !! Good reels are worth the expenditure.

Comment

I always used white lithium grease. It worked very well for me.

Comment

I would use a heavier grease on gears and a 3 in 1 oil or light oil for everything else. Remember you can over grease your reel so a little is better. Also clean your reels out first. Get any dirt or old grease off.

Comment

If you can afford a quality reel that needs grease and not be thrown away after a couple of years. Who give a crap about the cost of a little grease. But white lithium as honk mentioned and 3in1oil as lupo mentioned. Have always worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            That depends on the worth of your reels. It they are good quality equipment, I would not be worried about cost of lubricants ! If they are not wotrh the money to maintain them, then I guess cchheeaapp is alright and it would make no difference what was used !! Good reels are worth the expenditure.
            You know never understood that about folks. Spend piles of money of nice things and then complain about the cost upkeep.

Comment

It does put ???’s in the mind, does it not Dawg ?

Comment

Yes it does. I use to fret over every penny i spent on anything. But now I don’t. I buy what I have to have. I don’t waste money I still look for a good deal. But time is the one thing I can’t buy and I find I’m much happier since I don’t fret over everything.

Comment

That kind of thinking can bring great peace of mind. The worry about price of something can put a curb on it’s enjoyment !

Comment

Cheap? Er, ah,-----maybe Crisco?

Comment

I took my reels apart every winter and used Qtips to clean out the dirt and old grease from all the gears. Then I put Vaseline on the gears and 1 drop of oil. They have lasted for ten or more years and never had any problems. I still have some Abu Garcia bait casting reels (the red ones) that I got in the 60's and they work as good as new.

Comment

What ever works for you. I use marine trailer wheel bearing grease as it stays put and because I have it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad