Braided line on Spincast reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided line on Spincast reel?

I recently resurrected two old Abu-matics that I have had for a number of years, and was pleased to find that with a little clean up and lube, they both worked perfectly. I am thinking of taking them up to the ranch for kids, Aunts, and anyone who shows up without tackle and wants to fish. I am considering putting either PowerPro or FINS braided line on them, as monofilament tends to take a "set" and get brittle with age. No telling how long they will be in the garage catch-all room before they are used. What say you all, braided or mono?
    Attached Files

3 potential problems with braid on a spincaster-
    1. Wear on your pickup pins
    2. Shortened casting distance
    3. Fighting a sizable fish or a snag might cause the line to dig into the spool
    I wouldn't do it myself

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      3 potential problems with braid on a spincaster-
      1. Wear on your pickup pins
      2. Shortened casting distance
      3. Fighting a sizable fish or a snag might cause the line to dig into the spool
      I wouldn't do it myself
      OK. Thanks. Pickup pins don't show any wear.

Comment

Braided line gets funny after a little while also. Almost every time I tie a hook on I cut like 3 feet of it cause it tends to unwind and losses strength. Never had to much problem with mono doing this. I know powerpro has a coating so it might help. I have mixed feelings about braid I've caughten some big fish on it but I can't stand it sometimes very easy to tangle up. Also with heavier line good luck getting snags out. You say for kids I still would go with mono.

Comment

I’m big fan of fire line and I find the more you use it the more broke in it gets the nicer it works. It thinner than mono so it cast farther and lures have more action and get deeper. I would give it a shot. I like that you are getting those reals back in service, I just got a Penn 4500 cleaned up and gave it to my grandson. Let us know how you make out.

Comment

The makers of spincast reels recommend against braid, due to the wear it causes on pickup pins as mentioned by Dewman.

I adhere to their advice, and use mono on the several spincast reels we use. Neither I nor my wife or kids have any issue with it getting brittle. It is a good idea with any line to cut the last few feet off every now and again, due to wear, and that means eventually you'll refill with fresh line, but mono is cheap, even good mono, so there's no reason not to change it out when you need to. .

Comment

Just curious. Wondering if braided tends to twist like mono when trolled from a spinning reel behind a boat or canoe. I do quite a lot of that type of fishing for walleyes and am contemplating switching to bait caster this year even though I've never been able to get the hang of casting them. From the canoe I'm mostly just letting the line drift as I paddle from channel to channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                Just curious. Wondering if braided tends to twist like mono when trolled from a spinning reel behind a boat or canoe. I do quite a lot of that type of fishing for walleyes and am contemplating switching to bait caster this year even though I've never been able to get the hang of casting them. From the canoe I'm mostly just letting the line drift as I paddle from channel to channel.
                Bait casting is an art that results in a lot of birds' nests if done improperly.
                Good luck.

Comment

I’m not a big fan of braids because of the lack of smoothness but I do like Berkeley fireline . It’s smooth and thin , 20 lb test the diameter of 8 lb mono. It gives better hook sets because it doesn’t stretch , it is very abrasion resistant ! Thin line gives better lure action and deeper trolling depth. The down side of fireline is cost( it does last much longer between refills) it does stretch so violent hook sets can and will break rod tips( you don’t have to set the hook so hard) and snags you must take care not to cut yourself if you grab the line. I have used it on the Susquehanna for twenty years and it works in that rocky river . It saved me a lot of money by not having to change line and because of the smaller diameter it doesn’t twist as much making it a excellent trolling line. Hope this helps.

Comment

It isn't the line causing the twist, but what is on the end of it. You should still use a good swivel with braid if you have a lure which generates twist, just as you would with mono. A lure which doesn't cause twist with mono won't cause it with braid though.

Braid has nearly zero stretch, which makes it easy to see if you lure is working - and to see when it stops, perhaps because you've picked up some weed. Because of the low stretch (and fairly low abrasion resistance) you should have a mono or fluoro leader for the last few feet to the hook or lure.

FWIW I use braid on baitcasters and, increasingly, on spinning reels. I don't use it on spincasters for reasons noted separately, nor on a sidecast reel I have (also a type not suited for braid). I like the zero stretch for excellent sensitivity to what is happening at the far end, and the very fine diameter for a given breaking strain, which increases casting distance and spool capacity. Mono is a bit more forgiving though I guess, particularly for the kids, given its stretchiness , and a bit more resistant to abrasion.

Comment

I know what your talking about for the most part braid comes off very smoothly and I've never really had a problem with it twisting. With mono if your having this problem it's cause the mono isn't stretched out yet. Usually when I put mono on I give it a little pull once n awhile. Take a good bit of string out tie it off to something then act like you got a fish on wind in for a couple seconds. Then keep it tight as you wind walk towards where it's tied. Should stretch out your mono. Also when trolling and if it does it a lot try to keep your speed when setting the lure in the water. I know it's hard in canoe but it can be done.

Comment

Very good points SL

Comment

Have you tried this spinning reel? My brother advises me for fishing referring to this review. It is difficult to trust a person who has almost no fishing experience. My old coil fell apart in my hands and hurt my arm.

I go to the lake alone, except for you, unfortunately, there is no one to ask.

Hugged everyone!

Comment

“Hugged everyone” !! From your avatar, I can only say that I am sorry I was not there ! Next time give notice which lake and the time !

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina View Post
                              Have you tried this spinning reel? My brother advises me for fishing referring to this review. It is difficult to trust a person who has almost no fishing experience. My old coil fell apart in my hands and hurt my arm.

I go to the lake alone, except for you, unfortunately, there is no one to ask.

Hugged everyone!
                              All of those reels on the page look like good reels. The Shimano should be a good reel. What you should be looking for in a reel is what kind of fishing you will be doing with it. Also I do like my ball bearings for smoothness. Also pair the reel with a good rod.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Caliber vs Caliber
                                by FirstBubba
                                At one point, I could drag in a cooler with a quartered deer in it and my wife would go in head first and come out with a loin.
                                I wasn't allowed...
                                Today, 08:59 PM
                              • Caliber vs Caliber
                                by FirstBubba
                                We all have our favorite caliber.
                                As long as we like the caliber we chose and that caliber kills deer cleanly, who cares?
                                A deer can only...
                                Today, 04:27 PM
                              • Reply to Caliber vs Caliber
                                by PigHunter
                                PigHuntress has requested at least three deer be taken this year. She uses ground venison in a lot of her recipes.
                                Today, 08:23 PM
                              • Reply to Info on 6.5 Creedmore
                                by PigHunter
                                I know my rifles are more accurate than I'm capable. So, 1-inch groups off bags just tickle me pink and the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor consistently...
                                Today, 08:21 PM
                              • Info on 6.5 Creedmore
                                by Sarge01
                                The 6.5 Creedmore fans aren't going to like what Ret. Col. Craig Boddington has to say about their favorite cartridge in the latest edition of Petersen's...
                                Today, 11:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X