Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How ofter do you change your fishing line ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How ofter do you change your fishing line ?

    I am a recreational fresh water fisherman, fishing almost always from a boat. I have several casting, trolling rigs and spinning reels that don't get abused with high heat or constant sun.

  • #2
    I catch 1.5 to 4 or 5 on up to 10+ fish and usually at the beginning of the season I look at the line for flexibility and if good I remove 10 or 15yds from the spool. Not every rig gets used on every outing. This seems to be working or, am I testing fate ?

    Comment


    • #3
      I used to go through them all annually... now I do it when they begin to piss me off, but will cull the frayed last few feet.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am in the process of replacing a few of mine now. Some of them are three years on the spool and some may be longer. Haven't lost any fish yet, but don't want to, either. Replacing some of the monofilament with braided line, also. Wondering about the life of braided line, but it does not take a "set" near as bad as mono.

        Comment


        • #5
          Every 4 or 5 years, whether it needs it or not ... if I remember it! LOL!

          Comment


          • #6
            The tuna rigs were always carefully stored and maintained. Reel covers installed while cruising, stored in cool dry shaded places, feel the line for abrasion and never step on the line while on the deck Of the boat. Trout/salmon or bass rigs are a little different. If the line gets that creamy color or too much memory the rig gets set aside until the line gets changed. I’ll generally test the strength of a knot with a little bit of gumption and if it fails it gets re spooled. No real schedule but a little preseason rigor to test its abilities.

            Comment


            • #7
              I fish a lot and would go broke changing my line too often. I don't change line until it looks too old. Monofiliment eventually gets too rigid to cast well so I usually use a real limp line like Trilene XL for casting. I don't worry much about trolling lines. I cut about 10 yards off the end every once in a while if I feel abrasions on it when I slide nylon fabric down the line. I rarely change braided line unless It is looking frayed. Some of my braided lines have been on the spools for decades.

              Comment


              • #8
                Braid is a once a year change for me. Sometimes longer depending upon its condition. Mono and copolymer get changed 2-3 times per year. It just doesn't hold up like braid in my experience. I only use flouro as a leader. It just twists to much on a spinning real and bird nests too much on a bait caster for me to use otherwise.
                This is for freshwater fishing for me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                  I fish a lot and would go broke changing my line too often. I don't change line until it looks too old. Monofiliment eventually gets too rigid to cast well so I usually use a real limp line like Trilene XL for casting. I don't worry much about trolling lines. I cut about 10 yards off the end every once in a while if I feel abrasions on it when I slide nylon fabric down the line. I rarely change braided line unless It is looking frayed. Some of my braided lines have been on the spools for decades.
                  Its amazing how expensive line has gotten. Braid and flouro line have gotten crazy expensive. At least braid will last a long time. One reason I use a lot of mono line is its cost; the cheapest out there and still works.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                    The tuna rigs were always carefully stored and maintained. Reel covers installed while cruising, stored in cool dry shaded places, feel the line for abrasion and never step on the line while on the deck Of the boat. Trout/salmon or bass rigs are a little different. If the line gets that creamy color or too much memory the rig gets set aside until the line gets changed. I’ll generally test the strength of a knot with a little bit of gumption and if it fails it gets re spooled. No real schedule but a little preseason rigor to test its abilities.
                    Do you dunk the reels in fresh water when you finish with them ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
                      The tuna rigs were always carefully stored and maintained. Reel covers installed while cruising, stored in cool dry shaded places, feel the line for abrasion and never step on the line while on the deck Of the boat. Trout/salmon or bass rigs are a little different. If the line gets that creamy color or too much memory the rig gets set aside until the line gets changed. I’ll generally test the strength of a knot with a little bit of gumption and if it fails it gets re spooled. No real schedule but a little preseason rigor to test its abilities.
                      Yessir, Bring them home and wash with dawn dish soap and fresh water. Store the with them drag on a loosened setting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I haven't changed my mono in like 2 to 3 years now. My braid going on 2 years. It depends on what I'm going for and also if I feel the line is getting weaker I'll change it. Usually just keep on cutting away a couple feet to newer line. Then when I don't have many yards left I'll change it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          For me it depends on how much said line actually gets used and how. My main bass rig I probably change the mono out 3 or 4 times a season. It's proably more due to line loss than anything. Big Smallmouth sure do seem to have a way of abusing 8 pound mono, particularly with those darned rocks, and I typically shave off a few feet of line every time I catch one just so I'm not fishing with nicked line. Regardless of wear, I would change mono once a year personally, it's got too much line memory and tends to feel worn and "brittle" after awhile, plus it's not like the stuff's expensive. The fluorocarbon that I use for trout seems to hold up longer, but I need to replace it at least once a year anyway since I keep losing it to rats nests. I don''t use braid much, but what I do use pretty much stays on forever (though I do try to flush the salt out of my striper gear regularly).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I usually put fresh mono on my spinning reels when I'm getting stuff together for the trout season opener. I usually start out with 4lb. test, then strip it off and go up to 6 or 8 when summer comes and I'm catching smallmouths and walleyes. Typically there isn't much to strip off, after a couple months of breaking off snags and clipping line to get rid of tangles.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by nehunter92 View Post
                              For me it depends on how much said line actually gets used and how. My main bass rig I probably change the mono out 3 or 4 times a season. It's proably more due to line loss than anything. Big Smallmouth sure do seem to have a way of abusing 8 pound mono, particularly with those darned rocks, and I typically shave off a few feet of line every time I catch one just so I'm not fishing with nicked line. Regardless of wear, I would change mono once a year personally, it's got too much line memory and tends to feel worn and "brittle" after awhile, plus it's not like the stuff's expensive. The fluorocarbon that I use for trout seems to hold up longer, but I need to replace it at least once a year anyway since I keep losing it to rats nests. I don''t use braid much, but what I do use pretty much stays on forever (though I do try to flush the salt out of my striper gear regularly).
                              I had a rat's nest today with metal line, had to sacrifice about 25'.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                ...
                                Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by rock rat
                                It's simply tit for tat. Brits took one of their tankers, they take two of the brits. More important is why is there even an embargo. We broke the deal,...
                                Today, 07:33 AM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by FirstBubba
                                Gonna have to find you an international maritime lawyer jimbo.
                                I don't know....
                                Today, 07:31 AM
                              • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                by jhjimbo
                                If international law recognizes 50 miles off shore as a country border and the strait is 22 miles wide does that mean the strait is entirely in iran territory....
                                Today, 07:24 AM
                              • Do squirrel baffles work? Damn right they do!
                                by Gary Devine
                                I watched this tree rat climb up the bird feeder pole multiple times trying to climb onto the baffle. Each time the squirrel reach out and slipped off...
                                Yesterday, 08:22 AM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X