Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between fluorocarbon and monofiliament lines? I have done some minor research on both, just curious if an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the difference between fluorocarbon and monofiliament lines? I have done some minor research on both, just curious if an

What's the difference between fluorocarbon and monofiliament lines? I have done some minor research on both, just curious if anyone wanted to let me in on some more insight. Thanks.

I apologize for the double post.

Comment

Fluorocarbon has a refractive index much closer to water and is touted as being less visible to the fish.

Comment

Cavrecon is correct.

Comment

Any other notable differences or benefits/detriments to either type?

Comment

Flouro is typically more abrasion resistant than mono. Can be stiffer, though new formulations are better. Supposedly, less knot strength. If I remember right, flouro is usually thinner for the strength. Doesn't absorb water like mono, which probably only matters if you've got the line in the water trolling for hours on end. Also denser, so tends to sink faster, which is why mono is recommended for tippets for floating flies (I use flouro anyway).

Comment

Fluorocarbon in heavy poundages (90-120 for saltwater trolling) is extremely stiff and a pain to work with, but the whole refractive index issue causes many, including me, to put up with it anyway. What are some of the newer, more flexible types anyone has tried?

Comment

Armchair - I've only used the newer flyfishing flouro leaders/tippets. That is better for knots and seems more flexible. Sorry, no experience with new regular fishing line - just the older stuff.

Comment

We pay extra for flourocarbon because line shy fish can't see it as well as mono.

Comment

I USE THE FLOUROCARBON,FISH CANT SEE IT AND IVE HAD LESS TROUBLE WITH LINE MEMORY

Comment

Agreed with CavRecon and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad