Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I need a fishing auger drill adapter. Shanty.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I need a fishing auger drill adapter. Shanty.

I have a sudden chance to go on a major ice fishing adventure in the great U.P. in a few weeks ( eh?) And need to gather my stuff. I know a simple battery drill, hammer drill, impact drill can make a great ice auger. But you need to buy the auger (drill shaft) itself and some plate or another. I know the parts can he had on ebay. Without cashing in my retirement, what exactly do I need, what brand works best. Also need a really good insulated 2 or 3 man canvas like shanty out there. Best value. Can anyone recommend a brand they are happy with? This is a short Fuze requirement.

It's bitterly cold here right now and won't be any warmer east at the UP. You can expect ice several feet thick by then. Two days ago we were drilling through about two feet. I don't see any kind of jerry-rig gizmo running off little lithium batteries doing that job. Remember, when batteries get cold their cranking power goes right in the toilet very quickly. Hopefully someone along will have a gas operated auger. That's the only way to go when the ice is thick. Two years ago I was out a couple of times on Lake Superior and we couldn't get a 4' gas auger through to water without moving around. Even then we barely got through. If you've got arms like a gorilla you might make a manual auger work ... but take along a couple extra sets of sharp blades. Ice can dull them quickly and then it's even more miserable work.

Comment

Honk. Buddy You need to update, my friend. Utube is chock full of videos of portable drills connected to ice augers cutting through ice. The torque of some of these 20v drills is amazing. I have also seen in bass pro and Cabelas insulated shanties that are simply pop up tents. What I really need is what works, ( anyine please) so I can pre-order on line and be ready to rock in 3 weeks. Btw. The In laws live in the U.P. and Superior I'm told doesn't freeze till Feb or March. Yea I don't understand it either. I would consider moving to the U.P. but the taxes are horrendous. They have to get money for Detroit somewhere.

Comment

Honk. Buddy You need to update, my friend. Utube is chock full of videos of portable drills connected to ice augers cutting through ice. The torque of some of these 20v drills is amazing. I have also seen in bass pro and Cabelas insulated shanties that are simply pop up tents. What I really need is what works, ( anyine please) so I can pre-order on line and be ready to rock in 3 weeks. Btw. The In laws live in the U.P. and Superior I'm told doesn't freeze till Feb or March. Yea I don't understand it either. I would consider moving to the U.P. but the taxes are horrendous. They have to get money for Detroit somewhere.

Comment

I saw a shanty that was on a sled, real neat set up. Carry everything on the sled and when ready just pop the tent up. I think it was Natchez Supply.
          I would borrow a auger from one of the people you will be with.

Comment

Rocky, the gas powered augers are nice but for one trip, you could just go with a manual auger. If you only drill a six inch hole, you should be able to drill plenty fast as long as your cutting blades are sharp. There is no doubt that a gas powered drill can knock a hundred holes faster but you really won't likely need that many; especially if your buddies are drilling too and finding the location of fish.

I have spent many a day of great ice fishing without my own shack. Just dress warm with good insulated boots and you will have fun. If I were you, I'd rather invest in a fish finder and minimize the number of holes drilled. You don't need anything fancy because from a still position, you just get a blip on your screen anyway. The shack is important in bad windy weather but you can live for a day or two without it. I often bring my things in a five gallon bucket and sit on the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
              I see a lot of people here drilling holes in the ice. None of them using portable drills with augers. You might get one or two holes through this thick ice before the battery gives out. Not unusual to put down several holes in an afternoon. Sometimes it's necessary to move to where the fish are from where they aren't.

Superior has only frozen all the way over twice since I moved here (1989). But no one fishes the middle of it anyway. The bays usually have ice thick enough to safely fish by Christmas. I've seen huts and snow machines on the lakes as early as end of November but that is certainly rare these days. Upper Peninsula is a ways south of here but looks like they have been getting the same weather.
              Expect to be dealing with some thick ice. We still don't have a lot of snow (almost nothing till two days ago) and the high winds this week have really moved it around. Without much snow cover for insulation and with these severe temps, the lake ice will be growing like crazy.

If you're fishing with family who lives there, someone is bound to have a gas auger if they do much ice fishing at all. It's general practice for one person with a gas auger in the party to drill holes for everyone (often even other strangers in the neighborhood who don't have one). Augers are heavy and bulky even if only manual type. No sense in everyone hauling one out there. Just don't expect to use it yourself. Let the guy who owns it do it for you. Kinda like expecting to borrow someone's combine or tractor. It's easy to dull the blades if you don't know what you're doing.

On a perfect day sitting on a bucket in the open is okay. I barely have the patience for sitting around doing almost nothing anyway but zero tolerance when it's severely cold and/or wind is blowing. Get a hut. Some places you can rent them already pulled out on the ice complete with wood stoves and even cots. Worth the money I can tell you! Especially when the wind comes up unexpectedly. Check into that. The vendor usually knows where the fish are too. If the ice is thick enough we would often drive out onto Superior in the pickup and jump into it to warm up as needed. Gotta watch out for ice ridges though. They can pop up unexpectedly on Superior and make returning with vehicles tricky. We usually didn't go that far out with trucks. Also watch for currents near the shores of the big lake that make the ice thinner there.

Comment

Go to this linc at Outdoor Life, they have an article on ice fishing and show the sled I was talking about with the attached tent.
                http://www.outdoorlife.com/must-have-ice-fishing-shelter-accessories

You're welcome.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad