Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My retired policeman brother who lives in Georgia, has a pond on his property with mallard ducks. Every morning he feeds his chickens and the wild ducks. The ducks also eat many items at the pond. He said the ducks are like his pets so he not plannin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My retired policeman brother who lives in Georgia, has a pond on his property with mallard ducks. Every morning he feeds his chickens and the wild ducks. The ducks also eat many items at the pond. He said the ducks are like his pets so he not plannin

My retired policeman brother who lives in Georgia, has a pond on his property with mallard ducks. Every morning he feeds his chickens and the wild ducks. The ducks also eat many items at the pond. He said the ducks are like his pets so he not planning on shooting them. Is he breaking any game law? Does the law only apply when your feeding waterfowl for a hunting purpose?

There is a big difference between feeding wild game and hunting over bait.

Comment

My brother send me a video via email.
      He has a flock of waterfowl at his pond.
      Click on the video below.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
        CR, what if the law states, you can't feed any waterfowl, period?

Comment

I think everyone who has pond ducks puts out something for them. A lot of them I see are all white - don't know if that takes them out of the 'wild' game category.
          A neighbor had a pet goose that lived to be 27 years old. Can't remember the kind - it did have a snood and was all white. Fido was tame and several people could pick him up, but, you had to be aware of where the tail end was facing in case he cuts one loose. If he did not like you he could bite and beat the sh-t out of you.

Comment

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service allows hunting migratory birds in baited areas ten days after the bait is gone, so non-hunters would have no problem with the Feds, (esp. an ex cop).
            Georgia law may differ.

Comment

The only problem I can see is if many more ducks start piling in for free food. If there's too many, that's when avian diseases can really spread. We've seen that around some of the parks in the Buffalo NY area, rural areas too. The State Wildlife folks put the ki-bash on feeding them, though many people break that rule.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                Then I guess he'd be breaking the law, huh? Then again, he can't help it if he's feeding his chickens and the ducks come in to steal the goodies.

Comment

I do not believe it is illegal to feed ducks, but concentrating ducks in a small area is not a good idea as avian diseases can be very contagious and deadly. If you have ever seen an outbreak of avian botulism, you would never want anyone to feed ducks ever again...it's gruesome. If I were him I'd be looking for ways to feed the chickens without feeding the ducks.

Comment

Originally posted by ITHACASXS View Post
                    The only problem I can see is if many more ducks start piling in for free food. If there's too many, that's when avian diseases can really spread. We've seen that around some of the parks in the Buffalo NY area, rural areas too. The State Wildlife folks put the ki-bash on feeding them, though many people break that rule.
                    Good Point about a disease spreading and my brother's intent is not to break any game law. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      I think everyone who has pond ducks puts out something for them. A lot of them I see are all white - don't know if that takes them out of the 'wild' game category.
                      A neighbor had a pet goose that lived to be 27 years old. Can't remember the kind - it did have a snood and was all white. Fido was tame and several people could pick him up, but, you had to be aware of where the tail end was facing in case he cuts one loose. If he did not like you he could bite and beat the sh-t out of you.
                      jimbo, the white ones are Muscovy ducks and they're considered domesticated...and they're nasty!

Comment

Big G, the problem isn't o much feeding the ducks, it's more of a problem of getting them "addicted", so to say, on a non-natural food source.
                        They have a tendency to break their normal, natural activities rather than follow their natural instincts.
                        Kind a like handing out money to people until they realize they can get paid for doing nothing! Welfare?

Comment

It's legal most places to feed wild game as long as you are not hunting them. I know in Tennessee you can feed deer and turkeys all year to get them into your area and hold them but then you have to take up the feed two weeks before you hunt. A lot of people do that, I would bet laws are much the same in Georgia. Love the welfare comparison.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Memorial
                            by WA Mtnhunter
                            He got out of the yard and ate a bunch of scraps at the neighbors, I think. The blockage seems to have passed looking at the X-ray, so we dodged the surgery...
                            Today, 09:09 AM
                          • Reply to How Many Died
                            by jhjimbo
                            I was a Red Cross swimming instructor and our procedure was to dive down, grab victims legs and spin them around so when we came up we were behind them....
                            Today, 09:06 AM
                          • How Many Died
                            by jhjimbo
                            On Tucker Carlson last night he said 750,000 died from Opioid overdose in a ten year period. More then WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, combined.
                            01-16-2020, 11:04 AM
                          • Reply to How Many Died
                            by jhjimbo
                            When I worked in the Hospital and a suicide came in I would disappear. Not going to work on somebody that wants to die - only a matter of time before...
                            Today, 08:59 AM
                          • Reply to How Many Died
                            by FirstBubba
                            Worked with a very kindly older gentleman.
                            Jim was retired USMC over 70 years old.
                            Said he'd never be able to retire, his son needed his "help"!...
                            Today, 08:54 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X