Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think did this?

What do you think did this?

A month or so back I caught a pike with a fairly nasty wound on it's side. I noticed it right away, netted it, photo'ed it, and then went to release it. When I picked it up, I saw that the other side had a similar wound, but probably a little worse.
    This was in a lake in central Minnesota. I've seen pike with bite marks from (I presume) other pike or muskies before, but this looks different to me.

So what do you think (almost) got this pike? Otter? Turtle? Fish?

UPDATE: This wasn't a massive fish. I didn't measure, but I'd guess about 20". We definitely have turtles in MN that could grab one this size, but I don't know if it would leave a wound like that. I also added a new, zoomed-in pic. His fin partially hides the wound, but I think you'll see it better in this image.
    Attached Files

Comment

I can't see the bite too clearly but my guess is probably turtle.

Comment

That would take a humongous snapper. I'd opine otter.
        If it was another fish, I'd "presume" the bite marks would be top and bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          I think we have turtles big enough... It's not a huge fish.

And if it were another pike (this lake doesn't have muskies), I'd expect "puncture" wounds, not a fairly-large square of skin removed.

Comment

Could be love thrashes from a much larger female pike. But I'm inclined to think with a square wound that it caught a glancing blow from a big snapper.

Comment

Boat prop?

Comment

Perhaps boat prop, but this is my secret hidey-hole lake that I don't think anyone else knows about!! (Okay, so I'm sure that's not quite true, but it is a lightly-fished lake without much boat traffic).
                And yes, perhaps spawning injury. I thought it would look more healed by Aug/Sep, but maybe not...

Comment

A Bald Eagle grab him with its talons with the fish started to scorm the bird of prey dropped it back in the water?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    A Bald Eagle grab him with its talons with the fish started to scorm the bird of prey dropped it back in the water?
                    Gary, I kept waiting for you to jump in and say "It was a bear!!"

Comment

I thought boat prop too bubba, but wouldn't have to have been turning pretty slow to whack it that many times?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Five Senators
                        by 99explorer
                        BHR - Guilt has already been established.
                        The only question before the Senate is whether the president's conduct is serious enough to warrant removal
                        Today, 12:49 AM
                      • Five Senators
                        by jhjimbo
                        The game plan of the DEMS is to get the 5 Senators who are up for election in Nov, to break with the Conservatives and join the DEMS in voting for impeachment....
                        Yesterday, 12:27 PM
                      • Reply to Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                        by 99explorer
                        Buckhunter - Welcome back. Glad you kept trying.
                        Today, 12:39 AM
                      • Hope it's still OK to post hunting topics
                        by Amflyer

Took the pup out for a hunt on public land. Late-season public hunts stink around here, so I wasn't hopeful. But took along the camera and...
                        01-21-2020, 02:16 PM
                      • Reply to Ponder This
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        As far as the chinks are concerned, the US has put itself into a very dangerous position with it’s association with that POS country. I would not trust...
                        Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X