Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by habben97 View Post
      ~
      Catostomidae

Comment

Some kind of sucker or creek chub.

Comment

Use to catch a lot of those out of the Bosque River near Hico, Texas. The ones we caught were mostly larger, near the 2 to 3 lb. range. My Great Uncle Jim just called them suckers. Not bad eating, but very bony, many fine bones, similar to a carp or buffalo.

Comment

I'd say either a chub or a variety of dace.

Comment

Looks like a chub. We catch them all the time trout fishing.

Comment

It's a sucker. If caught in cold water they are better eating, the meat stays firmer. In winter guys will cut holes in the ice and use a sucker hook, kind of like an inverted frog gig, to snag them out of the river. My Dad's family would take the eggs, roll them in flour, salt and pepper, then pan fry them in butter.

Comment

Common American sucker. I know some old-timers who prefer them above all fish, when they're caught in the springtime before the water warms up. In my area, it used to be a pre-trout season ritual. The suckers would fill the cricks while they spawned, and guys would go catch buckets of them (might be why we never see runs like that anymore). In the bigger streams, I've caught them up to twenty inches, but never ate one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Turkey Hunting Newbie
                    by MattM37
                    The only new thing I can add to what the other guys said is, After you pattern and find your most effective load, choke, and range, make sure you can...
                    Today, 01:32 PM
                  • Turkey Hunting Newbie
                    by Big5ully9
                    I am looking to do some Rio Grande turkey hunting this spring at Black Kettle WMA in Oklahoma. I have a Remington 870 Express that I want to use. What...
                    Yesterday, 04:14 PM
                  • Reply to 40 year old rookie
                    by Danbo
                    I started hunting when I got married the wife’s family got me started
                    Today, 01:19 PM
                  • 40 year old rookie
                    by Coach79
                    Anyone else out there get into hunting later in life? I started in September of 2019 at age 40, and shot my first deer last week with a crossbow. So....
                    Yesterday, 09:12 AM
                  • Reply to Get Off Social Media
                    by Danbo
                    Foreign governments have always spent money to influence elections not just Russia ! 99 do you fish?
                    Today, 01:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X