Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even though it's still cold everywhere, (We're getting flurries in GA today) I wanted to know what your favorite bait for catfis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Chicken livers or stink bait is what I used!!!

Leave a comment:

• dwaynez
    replied
    For Channels and Blues I use fresh shad,I normally catch it with a cast net and use it as fresh as I can, if I can't catch them I will use frozen shad.

Stinkbaits and dipbaits work really well for channel cats, I make my own stinkbait and dipbait and it does the trick for good eater size channels.

Beef Liver, Beef Heart, Shrimp, work for channels and blues as well.

For Flatheads I use only live bait, large fresh perch (bream).

Leave a comment:

• catfishclark10
    replied
    I love fishin for cats, I usually use nightcrawlers but for stink bait, DOCS, it's a stinkbait they make in Iowa, it's the only stinkbait ive baught and has worked. Turkey liver works good, ive noticed it stays on the hook better. Otherwise try making your own stink or bloodbait, thats what im going to focus on trying this year.

Leave a comment:

• tygardner
    replied
    i like both ill usally take a mix and then try and test both see wich is more productive and go from there. If im using stinky im using liver or worms in garlic butter. if im using live im using either pieces of sunnies or a frog on a heavy split shot and if none of them work im using hot dogs or bread

Leave a comment:

• silsbyj
    replied
    For stank I use Shad sides that have been covered in salt. When I run lines I use live bluegill and have always had good luck.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    stink baits or chicken hearts or livers work well. I've caught them on minnows but not with any success

Leave a comment:

• deaddiver
    replied
    one word..... Bluegill one around 2 inches caught me and my uncle the biggest cat of our lives

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Del, You mentioned Catalpa worms! Those are so difficult and hard to get (fresh), you have to find them hanging on the trees, I haven't used them for a long time but they are great. Good post

Leave a comment:

• Del in KS
    replied
    Here in KS I use chicken livers for Channel cats. In Georgia Catalpa worms was THE bait to use.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Pernice the fly rod winner
    replied
    Smaller cats also like Sonny's dipbait, the only one that i found would work for me.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    I like stinky stuff. You can never go wrong with worms or rotten meat of any sort like spoiled chunks of ham, chicken or even hot dogs. For some reason, bluegill chunk or whole never works well on hook and line on the Mississippi yet trot line or limb line they do well. Shad or skip-jack is excellent (best) but store bought stuff won't stay on hook well, you need to use a throw net and get fresh stuff and use immediately.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Pernice the fly rod winner
    replied
    Biggest Bluegills (7-8 inches) crush flathead on my river, channel and blues, a SMALL (1.5 by 1.5 or so) chunk of bluegill.

Leave a comment:

• bomberpride
    replied
    Liver will do the trick. Also pieces of hotdog work good

Leave a comment:

• dukerjj
    replied
    there is a creek near my house and it usually rains where i live once twice like downpour every year and the water is moving fast when it is like that (the creek is connected to our damn) the water is coming out of Lary strunk (the damn) and the fish are coming out fast in big numbers well there are these little gullys where the water is standing still and they are jammed pack with chad and blue gill perfect for bait fish just get your net and sometimes it might surprise you ive caught walleye, whitebass, whiper, catfish, in these gulleys but i usually let them go to be caught by the next anxious fisherman

Leave a comment:

• dukerjj
    replied
    there is a creek near my house and it usually rains where i live once twice like downpour every year and the water is moving fast when it is like that (the creek is connected to our damn) the water is coming out of Lary strunk (the damn) and the fish are coming out fast in big numbers well there are these little gullys where the water is standing still and they are jammed pack with chad and blue gill perfect for bait fish just get your net and sometimes it might surprise you ive caught walleye, whitebass, whiper, ctfish, in these gulleys but i usually let them go to be caught by the next anxious fisherman

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad