Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Even though it's still cold everywhere, (We're getting flurries in GA today) I wanted to know what your favorite bait for catfis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even though it's still cold everywhere, (We're getting flurries in GA today) I wanted to know what your favorite bait for catfis

Even though it's still cold everywhere, (We're getting flurries in GA today) I wanted to know what your favorite bait for catfish is. Do you like something dead and stinky or alive and kickin'? also, any recipes you want to share?

For channel catfish and blues fresh cut bait (bream or shad) and worms work best for me. Slightly spoiled (not rotten) shrimp is also good. Fish them on the bottom at the edge of curent breaks. For flatheads I like live bait such as bream or large shiners fished just off the bottom in deep holes or eddys.

As for cooking, larger catfish which are a little on the stong side can be rolled in a bowl with a little yellow mustard just before breading. Smaller catfish can be marinated for 30 minutes in a mixture of milk or butter milk and hot sauce then breaded. Like most southerners, I like my catfish deep fried with a side of slaw and hushpuppies drizzled lightly with honey. If you add fries make them fresh cut please. My favorite commercial breader is Louisana Brand New Orleans Fish Fry, House Autry second. Or you can use stone ground cornmeal and season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

I don't like to grill or blacken channel or blue cats (don't like the texture), however Flatheads are good for that purpose. Any of the popular seasonings will work well for this task. I think I know what is for dinner tonight!

Comment

my best luck has been with live bait jubbs 6-8 inchs long

Comment

I've always used cut up bait fish. We usually catch the bait fish in the area we are fishing and use them.

Comment

I like dough bunched up on a hook. Or a hook jam packed w/ worms. Both have worked for me and my family.

Comment

there is a creek near my house and it usually rains where i live once twice like downpour every year and the water is moving fast when it is like that (the creek is connected to our damn) the water is coming out of Lary strunk (the damn) and the fish are coming out fast in big numbers well there are these little gullys where the water is standing still and they are jammed pack with chad and blue gill perfect for bait fish just get your net and sometimes it might surprise you ive caught walleye, whitebass, whiper, ctfish, in these gulleys but i usually let them go to be caught by the next anxious fisherman

Comment

there is a creek near my house and it usually rains where i live once twice like downpour every year and the water is moving fast when it is like that (the creek is connected to our damn) the water is coming out of Lary strunk (the damn) and the fish are coming out fast in big numbers well there are these little gullys where the water is standing still and they are jammed pack with chad and blue gill perfect for bait fish just get your net and sometimes it might surprise you ive caught walleye, whitebass, whiper, catfish, in these gulleys but i usually let them go to be caught by the next anxious fisherman

Comment

Liver will do the trick. Also pieces of hotdog work good

Comment

Biggest Bluegills (7-8 inches) crush flathead on my river, channel and blues, a SMALL (1.5 by 1.5 or so) chunk of bluegill.

Comment

I like stinky stuff. You can never go wrong with worms or rotten meat of any sort like spoiled chunks of ham, chicken or even hot dogs. For some reason, bluegill chunk or whole never works well on hook and line on the Mississippi yet trot line or limb line they do well. Shad or skip-jack is excellent (best) but store bought stuff won't stay on hook well, you need to use a throw net and get fresh stuff and use immediately.

Comment

Smaller cats also like Sonny's dipbait, the only one that i found would work for me.

Comment

Here in KS I use chicken livers for Channel cats. In Georgia Catalpa worms was THE bait to use.

Comment

Del, You mentioned Catalpa worms! Those are so difficult and hard to get (fresh), you have to find them hanging on the trees, I haven't used them for a long time but they are great. Good post

Comment

one word..... Bluegill one around 2 inches caught me and my uncle the biggest cat of our lives

Comment

stink baits or chicken hearts or livers work well. I've caught them on minnows but not with any success

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How much is too much?
                                by DakotaMan
                                WOW! Do you mind if I frame that for my shop Red? That is the absolutely best answer I've ever heard on this mystery question. You've got to get the bullet...
                                Today, 01:23 PM
                              • How much is too much?
                                by FirstBubba
                                There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What...
                                Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                              • Reply to 30 06 bullets
                                by Pmacc60
                                Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use....
                                Today, 01:17 PM
                              • 30 06 bullets
                                by Cobey alvarez
                                What 30-06 bullet is better for deer rem core lokt or Hornady American whitetail...
                                07-07-2020, 11:41 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by DakotaMan
                                Interesting and it seems like a pretty good idea. Is there any risk of hitting the trigger while feeling for the switch when you are in a panic? That...
                                Today, 01:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X