Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After all these years of fishing, this just dawned on me - why are baitcasting reels set up with the handle on the right hand si

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After all these years of fishing, this just dawned on me - why are baitcasting reels set up with the handle on the right hand si

After all these years of fishing, this just dawned on me - why are baitcasting reels set up with the handle on the right hand side? Forces us righties to cast and then switch hands to retrieve. Wouldn't it be more efficient to just set them up to wind with our left hands? Was the baitcaster designed by a lefty as sinister payback to a right-handed world?.

Funny! Seems that way! Actually, you cast with both. Right hand on top, turned so reel handle is pointing up at the bottom of the cast, then adjust your grip to reel in, after you prevent a horrible backlash with your dominant hand, good timing, practice, favorable wind conditions, and good luck!

Comment

Yeah, you didn't know Petzal also dabbles in fishing inventions?

I'm a righty and I like them that way.

Comment

I absolutely can't fish with a right hand retrieve baitcaster (guess too many years of using a spinning reel). I have to search for or special order a left hand retrieve reel.

Comment

Your are correct. Damn things are backwards. I was able to purchase several nice lefty baitcasters about 15 years ago and glad that I did.

It never made sense to cast then switch hands.

Comment

I only own one and its a lefty even though I'm right handed. It just didn't make sense to me to switch hands. I mostly use spinning reels too so there was no way I was going to go to the trouble to relearn all that muscle memory.

Comment

I am a lefty but can cast with either hand, it doesn't seem to affect me at all.

Comment

I think it was. I have to look hard for a baitcaster that I can reel with my left hand. Usually have to pay more too. I think it is a waste of time and energy to have to switch hands.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad