Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to be fishing in the Big Catfish Splash on Lake Fork, Texas. Do any of you know of a good bait that works. I've bee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to be fishing in the Big Catfish Splash on Lake Fork, Texas. Do any of you know of a good bait that works. I've bee

I am going to be fishing in the Big Catfish Splash on Lake Fork, Texas. Do any of you know of a good bait that works. I've been using shrimp the past few years and the biggest cat I've caught was only 5 1/2 lbs. Any big cat baits?

Use big bait for big cats. Shrimp is good but add something like a chunk of cut shad to make the bait bigger.

Comment

Live bait works best. Get some live shad, sunfish, skip jack, any type of baitfish. Use a big circle hook. Leave about 2 feet of line between your sinker and hook to give the fish room to swim.

Comment

I was going to say live/cut bream/sunfish,shad etc.
        Good luck and good fishing.

Comment

Jay has the answer, Big cats love live bait. most people use cut or stink bait, but live get the job done better, just get it close to the bottom

Comment

I would try some chicken liver. Try Gulp catfish dough in Bloody Bloody. it seems to work pretty good for me.

Comment

I like to catch some fresh sunfish and either use them live or for cutbait

Comment

If you are going after flatheads use live bluegills,by hooking them in the fat of the tail.It causes them to appear injured and entices the cats to pursue them.

If you are going after blues or channel cats use cut bait and dont forget to chum with chicken blood.

Comment

Fresh cut bait is good as is large live bait. Fish each bait just off the bottom.

Comment

if you want big big fish set a bottom set and use gold fish or stink bait

Comment

For the big cats use the following baits.

Shad:
                      Large piece of cut shad or whole shad if available, get it as fresh as possible.

Perch:
                      3-4" or larger if you can get them

Shrimp:
                      Frozen shrimp works well for big cats as well

Beef Heart:
                      Get a beef heart and cut pieces about the size of a sugar cube, this bait will stay on the hook and they will not steal the bait, it produces big cats.

Circle Hooks, Use circle hooks and be patient

Good Luck

Comment

remember monster catfish take monster baits caut my biggest 1 on half a carp

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad