Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good lure for 20-30 inch pickerel that have no fishing pressure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good lure for 20-30 inch pickerel that have no fishing pressure.

What is a good lure for 20-30 inch pickerel that have no fishing pressure.

Well if your fishing hardly fished pike you should have no problem catching them but my go to bait would be a rapala or these new storm baits that imitate baby pike.

Comment

Well, they are not pike...they are BIG chain pickerel. Will they still hit those storm baby pike lures???

Comment

yes they eat the same as pike.

Comment

Try a jig or my personal favorite is a red and white daredevil.

Comment

Practically anything. Unpressured pickerel are as non-fussy as fish get.

Any minnow plug would be great. Usually anything that looks remotely like a perch works well, but also just the usual silver/white and black. Also bright colored (orange, chartreuse, white & red, or any combination of aforementioned) should work.

What you need to do is try some bright, ridiculous looking lures, then try some baitfish looking lures. Depending on the conditions and the pickerel's mood, one or the other will work noticeably better.

If they are nailing the bright stuff, go with red and/or chartreuse spinners or spinnerbaits. It'll be a massacre.

Comment

Oh, and don't be afraid to go big. Pickerel will hit lures over 1/3 their size. Experiment and see how big you can go.

Comment

Silver crank baits, work for me.
                This question sounds familiar??

Comment

Genuine red and white Daredevle spoon. You can use a very big one for the 20-30 inch fish. Don't use an immitation red and white spoon... use the real thing. This is easily the #1 lure. If they have no pressure, they will hit crank baits too and of course if you take the time to hook up a chub, they will be glad to eat it. The Daredevle allows you to cover a lot of water quickly and they will hit it better than most any other lure.

Comment

rapala original or little cleo.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                      by Ontario Honker Hunter
                      I haven't "packed in" anywhere to go hunting since maybe 1987. But I still shoot a deer every year. Though not over a feeder.

Today, 04:28 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                    • Reply to Trump
                      by crm3006
                      From # 1 Bubba- HEY!!! MOTORMOUTH!!!!
                      Too chicken s#¡t to take my bet?

Yep, he is, # 1 Bubba. Just a Canajan phony with a hot keyboard...
                      Today, 04:20 PM
                    • Trump
                      by Danbo
                      https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/coro...-outbreak.html
                      04-17-2020, 06:15 AM
                    • Reply to 16 Years
                      by FirstBubba
                      Ya know bhr!
                      I think conservatives have figured out that "racist" and "sexist" are trigger words and liberals use them to shut...
                      Today, 03:57 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X