Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of bait, if there is any would I use to catch American Shad so that i can use them for bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of bait, if there is any would I use to catch American Shad so that i can use them for bait?

What type of bait, if there is any would I use to catch American Shad so that i can use them for bait?

Buy a bait trap.

Comment

Shad Darts work at times. My best luck has been using them under a popping cork.

Comment

Cheerios and a cast net. you can substitute cheerios for stale bread, fish heads, crackers, Dry dog food, dog biscuits, chicken Livers - just one or two.

be advised, though,
        bread,crackers,pretzel and yes even dry dog food will expand in theor stomachs and suffocate them- i am sure those of you that have used anything that has yeast in it will atest that your bait either dies with swollen bellys or throws up and then dies with in a few days.
        <<<<<GOOD<>LUCK>>>>>

Comment

squirrel hunter 13 cant you pre soak and swell the bait and have it work too ?

Comment

Use a throw net. Slowly troll off channel in sloughs. The sound of your motor will cause them to jump. Throw the net!

Comment

Anyone tried one of those Japanese bait rigs? They have the long center line with the weight at the bottom with 5-8 tiny flies that come off separate lines along the center line. I've used those for herring, anchovies, and alewives. They work great but are a bear to keep untangled.

Comment

Get a cast net.

Comment

I use a cast net.

Comment

Wax worms and a really small hook. Or you can chum for a bit, then throw a cast net.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                        Today, 11:19 AM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to More Bad News....
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                        Today, 11:12 AM
                      • More Bad News....
                        by WA Mtnhunter
                        My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                        07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by rock rat
                        Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                        Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X