Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought my soon to be 4 year old his first rod. You know, the Zebco type, push/thumb button brake/release. We're going fishi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought my soon to be 4 year old his first rod. You know, the Zebco type, push/thumb button brake/release. We're going fishi

Just bought my soon to be 4 year old his first rod. You know, the Zebco type, push/thumb button brake/release. We're going fishing either this eve or tommorrow. What age did you fathers out there first get the kids their own rods? Care to share your advice, experiences, etc? I suspect i was about 4 when my dad got me a zebco, but i can't say for sure.

Started mine out at 2 with just a rod and short line, no reel. Went to the reels at 3, and casting at 4....Maybe will go to flypole at 5 or 6.....

Comment

I was 5, Dad got me the same rig you just purchased. Worked up to a spinning rod by 7. Could cast better than him by 9 - so look out.

Comment

matouse3, If the teacher becomes the pupil, he has succeeded immensely, don't you think?

Comment

I purchased my son an 870 Wingmaster before he was born. I was taking him fishing while in a back pack at less than a year old.

Comment

I got a 202 zebbyco at about 5. Bought my son a 33 zebbyco at 4. He loved to catch Bream at a local college pond with it. In fact he still has it 20 years later!

Comment

Haven't got my own kids yet, but I took my fiance's nieces out to the pond I've lived on my whole life. They were 2, 5, and 7. They all caught their first fish, rooster bluegills as big as your hand. Except for the youngest. She caught an eleven inch walleye! I didn't even know they were in there! However you do it, know when to call it quits. You don't want to associate fishing with boredom.

Comment

Mom told me I was fishing before I could walk.
                I had the fortune to spend lots of summers with "Uncle W.C."/ W.C. Bradley(Owner/Founder of Zebco).
                He was a neighbor of family friends. Told me one time I was his test staff. "If it can survive a summer with you(lived on a lake and fished ALOT), I can sell a million of them and they'll never break down."
                Thank you steve182, I have'nt thought of him for a long time. The marble "Marlin" is still in the bay behind his old summer house in fact. I called and checked.

Comment

Oh, a point for all for making an ol' man cry.(LOL)

Comment

3, I got a St. Croix fly rod, trout fishing at 4.

Comment

i wash born with a small fishin pole. be carfull with that rod and reel combo, my lil bros broke easy.

Comment

fishing sice ive been about 2 with my own reel

Comment

my son had his life time sports man license at one month old, a snoopy rod and reel at two, and Yamaha pw 50 dirt bike a age three . though i might get to go a bit longer on the dirt bike but i made the mistake of telling him when you can ride a peddle bike with out training wheels i will buy you a dirt bike. now he is twelve and hell on wheels. don't ever under estimate your child . if they show a real interest and you can swing it , let them try it .they might just amaze you!!

Comment

He caught a decent bass on his first cast! Hooked for life! priceless

Comment

I recieved my own rod at the age of 3, it was a zebco or a johnson country mile, I will have to pull out some old pics to be sure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad