Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lately I've been fishing with a #5 mepps aglia gold blade and squirrel tail in my lake that someone gave to me. Point is that ye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lately I've been fishing with a #5 mepps aglia gold blade and squirrel tail in my lake that someone gave to me. Point is that ye

Lately I've been fishing with a #5 mepps aglia gold blade and squirrel tail in my lake that someone gave to me. Point is that yesterday I had a decent 18-20 inch chain just follow and swim away when it saw the boat and today the same thing happened with an even bigger one near that same area. They just follow and won't strike is there anyway I can try to entice a strike? I tried the figure 8 once today but didn't work and yesterday forgot to do it. I've been catching 7-10 inch bass regularly on the #5 mepps so I know the lure isn't too big for the fish to hit but could the size be turning them away from committing?

A friend once told me that he had lost all respect for the mentality of a pickerel, after one of them that had been following his lure jumped out of the water and hooked itself as he was lifting the lure out of the water. Just sayin.'

Comment

Some places it's easy to catch them. Also, I don't see how that makes you lose respect for them, they're built to kill.

Comment

Change up the retrieve speed, maybe a little scent or piece of live bait. Also, do you have one with a chrome spinner you could try? I have had them and northerns miss the lure and smash into the back of the boat. As flytier said, they are built to kill - you have to entice it to attack.
        Reminds me of a time a woman at the marina had a bandage around her hand. When asked how she cut it, she said she was washing her hand over the side of the boat and a fish came up and bit her. She thinks it was the sparkle of her diamond ring and the splashing that brought on the attack.

Comment

A #5 Mepps is the perfect size, they're lethal against the large toothy critters. I use them all the time when fishing lakes with pike or pickerel. Like jhjimbo said, try changing the retrieval speed, I know I also like doing some start and stop stuff. I also use them in a few different colors, I've had a lot of success with the red/white pattern.

Comment

Mepps is my go to, get plenty of pike and bass on it (not sure about pickerel necessarily), but maybe change the retrieve speed, and work some start/stops into it.

Comment

Some thoughts: With a Mepps there are a few things you can do to entice a strike when fish are following. I like the idea of red/white for pike... it just seems to turn them on, even if you just let it drop to the bottom in front of them once in a while. Silver might be better too if they are eating shad type fish.

Secondly, you can replace the bucktail with a bare hook. Sometimes the bucktail seems to make them wonder what it is when they get close and they like to watch rather than hit.

A salmon fishing friend from Norway taught me long ago to tie a streamer fly about a foot ahead of the Mepps to entice a strike and I have had great success with it on salmon and trout. It might help with pike too. Use a fast retrieve with it and vary from bucktail to clean hook to see what they like.

Just a few things to try. If you are getting follows, you are fishing in a good spot. If it were me, I'd put the Mepps in the tackle box and throw a genuine red and white Daredevil before I tried any of the above.

Comment

I don't have a daredevil. Won't buy one after seeing eppinger had a spoon made in
                "honor" I suppose of obama. I thought changing the speed might help but after the fish is gone it's gone and I don't find another after that. I love the red white pattern but only have it in a #3. I have it with a white bucktail would squirrel or a different color work betteror do you also use the white tail? Dakotaman that sounds like something I may have to try. Obviously I'm a fly tier so you think maybe even connecting a streamer behind the mepps could work?

Comment

I forgot to mention that where I'm fishing is a place where as you come to the cove theres a beach to the left and a house to the right with powerlines going across marking the entrance into the cove (lots of lures, bobbers, and worms on those lines). However, I've been fishing near the power lines on either side and casting to shore and weed beds clearly visible in the shallow areas. I've had the two pickerel follow on the totally oppsite sides from eachother and last year had one follow from the middle of that area. The beach is sandy and muddy which gradually gets deeper and the house is elevated with a concrete wall kind of touching the water which the area there is rocky and has a quick descend. So any tips in general on fishing this area would also be of help

Comment

I don't think there is a better lure than the genuine Eppinger red and white Daredevil for Pike. Because I've caught thousands of pike with them, I might be inclined to use one even if they dedicated one to the Devil himself. I have not had similar success with any other red and white spoon of any kind (and I've tried a LOT of them) nor with any other lure or live bait.

Regarding your questions:

1. I've tried every color of bucktail. They seem to do OK on big plugs and bass spinners but I've had better luck running the Mepps clean for pike and most other species. I also drill two holes on the back of many non-Daredevil style spoons and connect willow leaf spinners with split rings. Don't know why but it raises a strike in several species of fish including pike. I've actually had bad luck with every non-Daredevil red/white spoon I have tried and I mean I wore some of those out just testing them to no avail. If they are laying in weed beds, a weedless Johnson spoon with pork rind is my rig for pike.

2. I have had little luck attaching a trailing fly. My Norwegian buddy advised that they think they are nailing a baitfish that has lost his head in hot pursuit of lunch and the fly ahead of the spinner excites them to hit. I will say it has worked for me. One day I was catching dozens of steel heads and silver salmon with a #3 gold Mepps (bare) with fly. There were hundreds of others fishing the stream shoulder to shoulder with no luck. Everyone asked me what I was using. I was honest and said "Mepps" and all the local sporting goods stores sold out of Mepps by noon. Hardly anyone caught fish on them even though hundreds of Mepps were flying by 10:00 AM. I must have caught over 100 nice fish that day.

3. If the wind is calm, I'd start fishing your bay in spawning season by parking at the entrance to the bay. I'd stand up in the boat with polarized sun glasses and try to spot pike moving into or out of the bay. They usually swim in the top five feet of the water column and move pretty slow. You can see them and cast to them quite well. If that doesn't work, I'd cast Daredevils to the rushes and drag them straight out to the deeper water. Then I'd move in and cast parallel to the rushes in about 10 feet of water. If the rocky area descends into the water, I'd skim that too. I've caught many a pike that was hiding in the rocks waiting for bait fish to cruise by. They come right out of there for a Daredevil.

Comment

I don't think there is a better lure than the genuine Eppinger red and white Daredevil for Pike. Because I've caught thousands of pike with them, I might be inclined to use one even if they dedicated one to the Devil himself. I have not had similar success with any other red and white spoon of any kind (and I've tried a LOT of them) nor with any other lure or live bait.

Regarding your questions:

1. I've tried every color of bucktail. They seem to do OK on big plugs and bass spinners but I've had better luck running the Mepps clean for pike and most other species. I also drill two holes on the back of many non-Daredevil style spoons and connect willow leaf spinners with split rings. Don't know why but it raises a strike in several species of fish including pike. I've actually had bad luck with every non-Daredevil red/white spoon I have tried and I mean I wore some of those out just testing them to no avail. If they are laying in weed beds, a weedless Johnson spoon with pork rind is my rig for pike.

2. I have had little luck attaching a trailing fly. My Norwegian buddy advised that they think they are nailing a baitfish that has lost his head in hot pursuit of lunch and the fly ahead of the spinner excites them to hit. I will say it has worked for me. One day I was catching dozens of steel heads and silver salmon with a #3 gold Mepps (bare) with fly. There were hundreds of others fishing the stream shoulder to shoulder with no luck. Everyone asked me what I was using. I was honest and said "Mepps" and all the local sporting goods stores sold out of Mepps by noon. Hardly anyone caught fish on them even though hundreds of Mepps were flying by 10:00 AM. I must have caught over 100 nice fish that day.

3. If the wind is calm, I'd start fishing your bay in spawning season by parking at the entrance to the bay. I'd stand up in the boat with polarized sun glasses and try to spot pike moving into or out of the bay. They usually swim in the top five feet of the water column and move pretty slow. You can see them and cast to them quite well. If that doesn't work, I'd cast Daredevils to the rushes and drag them straight out to the deeper water. Then I'd move in and cast parallel to the rushes in about 10 feet of water. If the rocky area descends into the water, I'd skim that too. I've caught many a pike that was hiding in the rocks waiting for bait fish to cruise by. They come right out of there for a Daredevil.

Comment

Might have to work with them a little more. Try to cause more action when it gets closer to you. Also give it some scent. A piece of fish tipped on it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad