Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a spinning rod out there that can handle up to 3 ounce lures or should I strictly be using a baitcaster for such large

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a spinning rod out there that can handle up to 3 ounce lures or should I strictly be using a baitcaster for such large

Is there a spinning rod out there that can handle up to 3 ounce lures or should I strictly be using a baitcaster for such large lures?

I use a Shakespear Boron Heavy weight spinning rod and it could probably cast 3 oz.

Comment

You may want to expand your search to salt water reels if your looking for that. A little unwieldy for a fresh water body but it should work.

Comment

You may want to expand your search to salt water reels if your looking for that. A little unwieldy for a fresh water body but it should work.

Comment

Three ounces is no hill for a real stepper when he is surf fishing with a spinning rig. Wally world even has a 9" combo for around 25 bucks that is real popular at the seawall where I sometimes fish. I personally use 2 oz weights and a baitcast reel, but the people using the longer surf rods and surf spinning reels can cast better against stiff winds. An ultra-lite rod or even a medium action rod would be a little lite for 3 oz, but anything with a little backbone will cast it safely which is your only real concern. You can land a pretty good size fish with even an ultra-lite rod and reel. Keep at least 20# or bigger test line on the reel though because at 3 oz, any sudden stoppage of the cast while the lure is still midair will snap light weight line.

Comment

That was supposed to say 9 foot combo, not 9 inch combo, sorry.

Comment

I didn't even notice till you mentioned it haha. So I know theres a lot of freshwater poles that handle 3 ounces and reels along with that and a lot of poles that handle even to 10ounces for swimbaits or just musky. Just that I haven't found any spinning ones good for it.

Comment

One of my 3 (or 4?) Muskie rods is a spin’er. I use it to throw spinners. They are too light to pull a bait caster and heavy braid very far. It is a Ugly Stik 6 foot Medium HEAVY and the reel is a Penn CV 5000.

Comment

Yes they make a heavy rod that will be able to throw that weight out. Musky rod could throw that out also you could find some saltwater rods that can easily hold that amount of weight.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad