Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best fish I can catch on a light action ugly stick with 4 pound line? If so, what lure should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best fish I can catch on a light action ugly stick with 4 pound line? If so, what lure should I use?

What is the best fish I can catch on a light action ugly stick with 4 pound line? If so, what lure should I use?

Well not sure what you mean by best fish. But bluegills and other panfish would be fun to catch, use little crappie jigs. A lure that I have not used since I was a kid that used to be very productive and fun was the beetle spin. Not even sure if its still made, would love to get my hands on them. Bass would be fun to catch as well, small spinner baits and buzzbaits would be entertaining along with any soft plastic texas rigged.

Comment

MB915, Beetle spins are still made. I have quite a few of them. I would recommend them for panfish.

Comment

I'd say pan fish(bream,crappie),bass are probably would give you all the fight you'd want on this set-up.
        As said before, bettle-spins, sml. Mr. Twisters,Mini-Mite(jig) would all work well for you.
        You could also use live bait as well, worms(wax/night-crawlers),grubs even "crappie minnows(#4's) would work.
        Good luck and good fishing.

Comment

While not a tool for the largest fish, an ultra light handled well will land surprisingly large fish. You can't horse them in but with some finesse I've been able to land Hybrids (Whitebass X Striper), Channel Catfish and Carp in excess of 10 pounds.

Such a rig will easily handle Crappie and other sunfish along with trout.

Comment

I have caught many fish on a setup as described, including catfish (yellow bellies, blue cat, and channel) also crappie, bluegill, hybrids, and some bass.

I just used a hook and nightcrawler. Thread the worm on your hook as if it were a purple worm. Cast and leave the bail open. When your line takes off you've got one.

Try not to let it go too far or the fish will probably end up swallowing the hook.

Comment

My step-dad uses a ugly-stick lite with 15lb. line for stripers. Not for the inexperenced/faint of heart.
              I've watched him land several in the double digits.
              Largest being almost 16 lbs.
              Of course he's been fishing for over 50+ years, so.

Comment

2 weeks ago i caught a 15 pound carp on a micro light with 4 pound test. Pretty much any freshwater fish can be brought in as long as you know how to handle the rod and drag. their are exceptions of course such as salmon, pike, muskey, and sturgeon.

Comment

So, basically, panfish, hybrids, and mabye bass?

Comment

If you bump up line size i'd say catfish too. Yes.

Comment

Trombones, I wasn't going to respond but you ignored Beekepers response.
                      Personally I love using light line for fish of reasonable weight. If you use a good reel it should have a good drag system on it. That's the key. Four lb test will catch any trout and of course the sunfish, 6-8lb will catch any smallmouth.

Comment

About what line size should i get, and what type?

Comment

If you have four lb test use a jig or live bait. If you use eight lb test you can use a jig or a rattletrap.

Comment

You can catch whatever you want? I have landed large and small fish on 4lb test, just utilize your drag and have fun battling the fish.

I have caught a 6lb largmouth on a topwater plug on 4lb test, a 20lb carp on 4lb test, several catfish in the 10-15lb range,

You have to fight them for a while, but it is very rewarding to land a large fish on light tackle.

Good Luck

Comment

Trout or panfish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad