Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need to know more tips on how to catch catfish

i need to know more tips on how to catch catfish

Need more info. What kind of fishing? Lake/river,shore/boat. Whats Illegal in your area?

Comment

Lots of good info on here, several posts that already cover that question.

As stated by Big O, list a little more info and you will get a lot more feedback on your question.

I fish for catfish every weeek and I will be more than happy to provide some info.

Comment

Lots of good info on here, several posts that already cover that question.

As stated by Big O, list a little more info and you will get a lot more feedback on your question.

I fish for catfish every weeek and I will be more than happy to provide some info.

Comment

Get a 2/0 hook, go to your local grocery store and buy chicken livers. Put a chicken liver on the hook, throw it out whereever you are fishing. Let it sit on the bottom for 45 minutes, if you have yet to catch something, move to a different spot. That is the best advice I can give with the limited info we know about where you will be fishing.

Comment

For Channel and Blue cats fish the edges of curent breaks in rivers and larger creeks. Use worms of fresh cut baits. Fish on the bottom using a slip sinker rig. Use a weight heavy enough to keep the bait on the bottom, tie on a swivel, then a 16 inch leader with a hook. This lets the bait drift just above the bottom in the current. Choose a hook size to match the size of the catfish you wish to catch. For frying cats up to 3-4 pounds I generally use a number 4 eagle claw.

For Flatheads fish eddy areas with live bait suspended just off the bottom. I like 3-4 inch bream, generally fished on an eagle claw 6/0 live bait hook. At night I tie out limb lines in the same holes using 6-8 inch bream and 10/0 to 12/0 hooks. We regularly catch big flatheads that way up to the 40 - 50 pound range along with a few big blue's and channels.

If you can't catch Mr. Wiskers with this info I don't know what else to tell you...

Comment

Heres something.I used to use chicken liver and it worked well for a couple of years , untill the store was out and i had to get beef liver.10 mins into fishing i found that the catfish couldnt get enough.Plus the beef liver is fattier and stays on the hook better.

Comment

What you have to do is: buy a bag of shrimp, and then let it sit out so it gets a pleasant stench and then just cast it out

Comment

i always put on a bobber about 3ft up the line, then i use Gulp catfish dough in the bloody blood scent. it seems to work for me in ponds. ive caught cats at about 10lbs in a pond. so in personal experience it works.

Comment

fish on bottom with something dead or rotten.

Comment

Go with either chicken livers or turkey livers or some dough that fish companies offer and put that on the hook and then add a sinker and a strong rode and line and hold on. Most important is to just have a real stinky bait...

Comment

Use a nightcrawler or cut a baitfish in half and put it on the hook. Cast it out, set the pole on a fork stick, and wait for the line to show you the action.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad