Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what the canals in Phoenix are like for fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what the canals in Phoenix are like for fishing?

Does anyone know what the canals in Phoenix are like for fishing?

Ah nevva caught ennything there.

Moved up here (WA) to fish for large migratory species (salmon, steelhead, sturgeon), and discovered the best waterfowl hunting in the US.

Comment

You can catch the occassional black bass and catfish, but the targeted species is the white amur. There are many very large specimens in the canals and they put up a great fight. However, they must be put back into the canal immediately, as they are stocked and owned by Salt River Project, which maintains the canal system.

Comment

it is often illegal to fish in az canals. i know the cap and salt river canals don't allow fishing. you are best off going to the one of the many lakes around town. tempe town, barlett, saguaro, horse shoe, or roosevelt. You can also fish the salt rive above the canal point and the verde river not on the reservation.

Comment

Fishing is legal in the Salt River canals. A state fishing license is all that is required.

Here is information from the Salt River Project website:

www.srpnet.com/water/canals/fishing.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by mike0714 View Post
            it is often illegal to fish in az canals. i know the cap and salt river canals don't allow fishing. you are best off going to the one of the many lakes around town. tempe town, barlett, saguaro, horse shoe, or roosevelt. You can also fish the salt rive above the canal point and the verde river not on the reservation.
            You are wrong my friend..All the area canals are open to fishing. You just don't drive up and down the canal banks.

Comment

Originally posted by mike0714 View Post
              You are wrong my friend..All the area canals are open to fishing. You just don't drive up and down the canal banks.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad