No announcement yet.

whats a go selction of flies for pike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a go selction of flies for pike?

whats a go selction of flies for pike?

pretty much any popper,mouse,frog or minnow streamer that you use for bass will work well for northerns.big leach patterns work well also

Comment

That is an interesting question! I had never thought of fly fishing for pike. The main reason is that their razor sharp teeth tend to cut line as far as a foot from the hook. The big question then is what do you use for leader? You might be able to try 60-80lb mono or perhaps a light single strand steel leader. As far as flies, they will feed agressively on top water and will hit just about anything that moves. I would guess that minnow streamers would be a top choice as well as any popper. They definitely target surface disturbance just like bass. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Comment

A selection should include plenty of large streamers...This is one game where it can be said that often " the bigger the fly, the bigger the Pike !", that said it doesn't stop the little ones having a go... Black is a top color providing a very strong silhouette, along with White and Chartreuse. One of the finest flies I have come across is nothing more than a couple of grizzle saddle hackles, a thick tail of crystal hair and a body consisting of stacked marabou. These are easy to tie but also available for purchase... Poppers are also very useful and can consist of either spun and clipped deer hair or a block of plaztazote. One of my favorite flies, the ' Edgewater Wiggler '. uses shaped foam to provide a gurgling, popping motion which any self respecting Pike finds hard to resist. In conclusion any big, hairy, shiny, fishy looking pattern will gain the attention of Pike !

Comment

Bunny hair streamers with weighted eyes. Different colors. Pause it just 10 feet from the boat on each cast. They hit it if they are following.

Comment

use mice and wooly buggers and a clouser

Comment

i agree with you guys

Comment

Agreed with cooner and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                  by jhjimbo
                  What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                  Today, 01:16 PM
                • Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                  Today, 12:54 PM
                • Reply to Another New Upper
                  by FirstBubba
                  Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                  Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                  Today, 01:12 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                  He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                  Today, 01:11 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X