Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats a good bait to use for walleye? ive never caught one but we now have land at a lake that is stocked with some.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats a good bait to use for walleye? ive never caught one but we now have land at a lake that is stocked with some.

whats a good bait to use for walleye? ive never caught one but we now have land at a lake that is stocked with some.

I've caught them on spinners, mainly mepps. Also I know guys who use crankbaits. Nightcrawlers and leeches also work.

Comment

leeches, nightcrawlers, or minnows should work. Fish minnows on a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. jighead, and leeches and nightcrawlers on a walleye spinner rig.

Comment

gulp alive leech and twister tails.

Comment

Walleye are a new fish to me. I caught my first one about 14 years ago, but then waited 9 years or so before I caught another one. I have yet to say "I am going to catch a walleye" and caught any. All that I have caught have been trolling for hybrid bass or trout using crankbaits of one type or another. I have caught the most on a Rapala jointed minnow. It runs shallow which is (the way I understand it) not where you look for walleye. Guess I just got lucky. Wow. I go back and review this answer and realize I helped absolutely none. Sorry.

Comment

The number one catcher is a night crawler rigged to drag the bottom about a foot behind the weight. Fish in 25-50 feet of water off points if you can. Next to that are the minnow and leech. Crank baits trolled parallel to the shore or over sand flats in the DIRTY water where wind is blowing waves into the shore or shallows is good too regardless of the depth. Walleye are unique in that they make their living preying on bait fish that can't see because of the murkyness of the water. They have sensory perception and visibility better than any other fresh water fish. You won't find a bass or northern in that murky water but that is where the walleye hunt. They come up out of the depths to feed any time such conditions exist. Take a look at http://www.aimfishing.com/ where a tournament is going on right now. These guys all have to use artificials and most are using crank baits in the shallows.

Comment

I have caught more Walleye with leeches than anything. It's like crack to them. I remember a few years back I was on a lake in Henippin Minnesota back when I lived there fishing opening day. I casted my leech out in about 8 feet of water. As my bait neared the boat at the end of my retrieve, an 8 pounder smashed it. That was one of the most exciting moments of my fishing career.

Comment

another good piece of tackle is a Road Runner, its more of a jigging bait but last time i went to Canada it worked well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad