Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fishing knot do you use the most? I use the Palomar most often.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fishing knot do you use the most? I use the Palomar most often.

What fishing knot do you use the most? I use the Palomar most often.

I go through the eye, wrap it around 10 times and go back through the loop I made in the beginning then pull it tight. i think it is called the fisherman's knot.

Comment

if i am not using a braided line i just use the improved cinch knot . its quick and holds well, if your using a braided line stick with the palomar knot

Comment

palomar knot for everything, but if my hands are freezing and numb, I'll go with a improved clinch, as it doesn't require as much finesse.

Comment

i usually use a san diego jam except when ice fishing then i use a palomar knot

Comment

Well after googling what a Palomar is I learned that I tie a cinch knot and now will start tying an improved cinch now that I have seen it done. Just looks like the easiest knot you can tie and learn. Anyway in my search I found an excellent website to learn knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots.com

Good luck!

CB

Comment

A sailor I am not. The Trilene knot has been the only knot I have been able to learn and remember the next time I try to tie it. It doesn't give me any problems, so I stick with it.

Comment

I'm a dinosaur who still uses the clinch for most every thing. I do use a surgeons knot on small jigs to form a free loop for improved action.

Comment

I use the clinch or improved clinch primarily...

Comment

Improved cinch knot, all the time, every time.

Comment

Cpt. Brad,
                      That's a good web site, I added it to 'favorites'. I generally use the improved clinch, the palomar is difficult in a rocking boat and 17lb line but the Trilene knot is one I had thought to try (I actually thought I had thought of it myself) but didn't know there was a name for it or if it would be considered a 'knot'. The Boy Scouts taught me, years ago, there is a knot and then there is a granny knot. Not the same. Now that I know I'm giving it a try also.

Comment

If I have time to tie on at home I will use the Eugene Bend to tie lures to fluorocarbon. On the boat I use the Improved Clinch as it is easier to tie in the wind. I use the Palomar if I am tying braid directly to the lure but that is rare. I use the double Uni Knot to tie braid to fluoro. If I want to get better action on crankbaits that don't have a split ring I use the Rapala Knot to form a loop, works great for jerkbaits too.
                        A great knot book is "Fisherman's Knots, Fishing Rigs and How to Use Them" by Bob McNally. Until I got the book I only knew the Clinch knot and the Palomar. It is great and has really good illustrations and descriptions. I mean really great! Check it out.

Comment

Try checking with the manufacture of your line. After a couple of knot failures in my Spiderwire, I sent an e-mail to Berkley. They answered my question and even sent me a link to knot tying instructions within two days. Otherwise, I would stick with the Palomar. The Perfection loop is also a good knot even though it is a little more difficult to learn.

Comment

A great link cpt Brad... thanks mucho! I use the improved clinch knot most of the time for mono. If I am tying something very small like a snap swivel or single hook I use the Palomar knot because it is very easy to flip the loop over the small tackle. For big line in the 60-120 lb range, I use the Trilene knot because that big line doesn't bent too well with the others.

Comment

I love the Palomar... it is a very easy knot and is very strong, the line ends up breaking before the line does.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad