Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nate Matthews here (I'm the online editor). I'm heading out on assignment for the magazine next Friday, to ride the ice roads of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Matthews here (I'm the online editor). I'm heading out on assignment for the magazine next Friday, to ride the ice roads of

Nate Matthews here (I'm the online editor). I'm heading out on assignment for the magazine next Friday, to ride the ice roads of northern Manitoba by quad for 13 days. We'll be camping off the back of them and fishing the lakes and rivers along the way for ice-out northerns, walleyes, and lake trout. Anybody have tips to share on fishing for these species during the first few days after the ice melts?

KEEP DRY!

Comment

Carry a "SPOT" so we can track and watch your progress also you can send “OK” messages to your Wife/ Girl Friend and a remote chance you just might need it!

Comment

Thanks Clay. I've got an ACR beacon for that purpose. We'll be posting our route on the site using a google map when we return, after we download our track from the GPS we're bringing.

Comment

It could still be very cold. I live near Fargo, where the ice has long disappeared, but I know yesterday (or two days ago) it was 18 degrees in a city in Northern Manitoba, but a warm front is coming through soon, so expect below freezing temps, yet at the same time expect temps in the 50s and 60s.

Comment

Also, I don't know if it has affected the lakes in Manitoba, but the harsch winter severly rose the number of fish decimated due to winterkill in ND, and it could be a factor where you are headed.

Nate

Comment

I would try some of the larger 1/2 to 1 1/2 oz. spoons or about a size 11 Rapala for the pike. The walleyes I would go low and slow with a Hot-n-Tot, Shad Rap, or Rat-L-Trap.

Comment

Nate, after living in central Alaska for 4 years, I cannot over emphasize this issue for the location you’re going. Whatever you do, stay dry, once you are wet and cold and nothing to change into you can be in bigger trouble than you realize.

A pair of insulated hip waders you can wear heavy socks is your best bet. You will discover water and mud will find their way in places you never knew existed.

I couldn’t make out the upper material in the waders on this Cabela’s link, rubber transmits cold so the upper or leg portion material should resemble something like water proof canvas and avoid straight rubber.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon-cat601937&id=0005491830118a&navCount=1&podId=00054 91830118&parentId=cat601937&masterpathid=&navActio n=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexI d=cat601233&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=MSN& cm_pla=hip%20wadders&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true

For starting a fire, nothing beats a jar of Vaseline and a Magnesium Fire Stick. Tried the same kind of heat tabs for MRE’s but they don’t have the BTU volume needed to start a fire.

A couple of boxes of 22 and a accurate pistol or rifle for shooting Grouse along the trail is great for camp meat and yes you will be close enough for a head shots, stupid birds!

One more thing, don’t set your parking brake on your ATV overnight! It just might freeze and avoid water holes when possible.

Moisture is your #1 enemy!

One more thing, if you drink river or pond water, boil the hell out of it and don’t rely on water purification pills or you stand a chance to get Giardia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

Comment

Thinking about it, instead of a pair of hip wader a insulated pair of chest waders might be far better while traveling on ATV. A case of "MUD BUTT" isn't any fun!

Comment

Ice out is the only time of year that the lakers aren't DEEP. They will be hanging out in 20 feet of water or less. I've never done it, but this is about the only opportunity to catch a lake trout topwater or even on a fly. Probably not the most productive technique, but try it out. You'll be unique. I doubt there are many people that can say they caught a lake trout on the surface.

My best advice, though is use flatfish. Their slow, shallow, mega wobbly action will be great for these rare shallow lakers. Pike will crush them, too. Any crankbait in the right patter that dives to 10-15 feet will be great too. As always, spoons are good. Blue and white or silver for the lakers; red, white, orange, chartreuse for the northerns.

Also, their are two kinds of lakers. There's the ones that like to gobble fish all day and get huge, and there's the kind that like nothing but bugs and crustaceans and don't get so big. Figure out which ones you're dealing with, and fish accordingly.

Comment

Don’t forget the head neat and “Cutters” repellant and do get your hands on a pair of fighter pilot gloves!

Don’t use Ben's 100 Tick & Insect Repellent contains 95 percent DEET. 95 % DEET is too damn strong and it will melt plastic including optical lenses and if and when you get it in your eyes you will defiantly know it!

Comment

Sorry, no tips, but I truly envy you. Can't wait for the story. Stay warm!

Comment

Don't fall through the ice!

Comment

Oh I forgot it was ice-out. I will say "keep dry" instead.

Comment

But my #1 tip is Have Fun!!!!!!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad