Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think gar are "trash fish"? I just want to understand why people bash the fish so badly. www.myspace.com/teamroug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people think gar are "trash fish"? I just want to understand why people bash the fish so badly. www.myspace.com/teamroug

Why do people think gar are "trash fish"? I just want to understand why people bash the fish so badly. www.myspace.com/teamroughneck

Because of the bones and they don't know how to cook them. Growing up "Down South" there are no "trash" fish. I looked at your profile, "nice" fish guy!

Comment

I dunno, people are weird about fish they eat...most places, carp are also considered trash fish but in others they are a delicacy...go figure...thats a nice lookin' gar and I bet it was fun to catch..thats all that really matters in my book...

Comment

mainly since the bones cause them to be hard to cook and eat. King Fisher got it with the carp. my dad just doesnt like to cook em.

Comment

A lot of it is tradition passed down in families. My folks considered gar trash. An 85 year old Uncle told me when he was a kid grandpa bought some large fishhooks, straightened them out and soldered them together to make a gig. They used the gig to spear gar in a local stream called shady brooke (Sumter CO FL). The gar went into a large kettle to be boiled then fed to the chickens. The eggs they got were traded at a local mom and pop store for 5 cents worth of groceries (flour, sugar, corn meal, etc) per dozen. BTW Shady brooke is spring fed and flows into the famous (for BIG Bass and Shellcrackers) Lake Panasoffkee.

Comment

theyre not ver good to eat
            and they have a ton of bones

Comment

You cut off the head and tail with a hack saw, saw zaw, chain saw, etc. Then use something like tin snips or large pruning shears and cut down the spin. then, just like a deer, cape the hide off the meat. then, just like a deer remove the back straps. NO BONES. Then fry it. Kinda tastes like gator to me.

Comment

MEMORIES, LIKE THE CORNERS OF MY MIND !!!
                Thanks Matt.

Comment

Big O, I'm ashamed that I knew the lyrics but at least I didn't quote them. BARBRA STREISAND!!! REALLY!!!

Comment

Most gar are MUCH smaller than the one you are holding. Most come in at about half a pound to 2 pounds. At that size, their tough hide, the many bones and the sparse meat make them really not worth cleaning and therefore I think many consider them trash fish. Very few people in America even see a picture of one the size you have let alone get to catch one.

Comment

Where is this bone rumor coming from? If you clean it like i said THERE IS NO BONE. They are tough to clean though. I'm not really pushing the whole eating thing anyway. I'm promoting the awesome fight and catch and release. If you call yourself an angler and have never caught a large gar, you don't know what you are missing out on. Fun, fun.

Comment

By the way, DakotaMan, I saw your pics of the Georgia Striper from Lake Lanier. There is a guide there named Gar Man Jack. He will take you on an awesome guided gar fishing trip with his hookless rope lures. I went a couple summers ago to try to learn from him. We caught 14 gar in one day with the rope lures. None of them we half a pound to 2 pounds. I'm not sure where that stat comes from. Here in Georgia the gar are big. Check out Gar Man Jack at http://www.garmanjack.net/

Comment

I fish for Gar on a regular basis, I grew up fishing for gar and we have eaten them several times. As stated above, if you know how to clean them the fillets are boneless just like all other fillets.

They are a hard fighting fish that can be taken on artificial tackle or on live or cut bait.

People call them trash fish simply because they have never fished for them or them are ill informed on the subject of the fish.

As stated above you want to catch a hard fighting fish that can bust up your tackle then you need to hook into a 100+ lb gar and then call them a trash fish.

To date my largest is 126lb on r&r caught in the Navasota river in Texas.

Comment

Gator?

Comment

sweet. they put up an awesome fight. that is why i just don't get it. why?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by PigHunter
                                You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                                Today, 02:00 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Har, har, har. I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals,...
                                Today, 01:58 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X