Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im fishing a lake just over 40 acres that is a bwca entry point. it is football shaped with no dropoffs. it has one "point" even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im fishing a lake just over 40 acres that is a bwca entry point. it is football shaped with no dropoffs. it has one "point" even

Im fishing a lake just over 40 acres that is a bwca entry point. it is football shaped with no dropoffs. it has one "point" even though it is not very sharp and it is only a few feet deep around it. it gets to be about 15 feet deep but the last 4-5 feet are submerged vegetation. there are a few small rock piles jn less than 5 feet of water. its an 80 rod portadge in so we fish from kayaks. what would be the ideal strategy for walleye and perch?

The walleye will move locations depending on weather and time of year. I would concentrate on the deeper water near ledges. Also, 15 feet seems a bit shallow for a good walleye lake.

Comment

I agree with buckhunter, to find out what is in there you can't beat a worm.

Comment

Not big enough acreage for either species to grow to decent size.

Comment

Jhjimbo....Yes you can for either of those species. MINNOWS!

Comment

Jhjimbo....Yes you can for either of those species. MINNOWS!

Comment

Dangle, I believe the BWCA has restrictions on minnows. Leeches on the other hand...

Comment

Buck...I watch lots of those cable fishing shows, and don't fish those fisheries anymore that are not fly fishing shows. Have you seen the latex minnow imitations, and their action in the water? Wow have they got those rubber baits down!! And have you heard of WHITE PERCH in Lake Erie? Lots of them, and I do believe they are evasive. Wonder how they taste?

Comment

Set up a slip bobber rig and try either worms, minnows, or leeches. It works like a charm

Comment

you can use a spoon or shiner if the fishh are in beding or acting aggressive.

Comment

I fish the same kind of lakes around my area in Minnesota and consistently pull out 15-20 inchers with a few 6-10 pound walleyes on a real good day. If you are fishing from a kayak I would fish the weed lines with a slip-bobber and leach (in summer) or with a minnow (spring and fall). This strategy also works on rock piles. Late fall try from shore with a lindy-rig. Use a walking sinker behind a swivel and 1.5 ft - 2 ft of line and a # 6 hook with a small sucker. Leave the bail open on your rod and tie a marker on your line (I often use a small piece of foam). The walleye will suck it off the bottom and you will see that marker start to take of.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad