Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are some helpful tips for tips for catching catfish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    All are good suggestions above. I would like to add that I have went to circle style hooks and the results have been excellent. I was skeptical at first but wow -- they have made a huge difference.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    For Channel and Blue cats fish the edges of curent breaks in rivers and larger creeks. Use worms of fresh cut baits. Fish on the bottom using a slip sinker rig. Use a weight heavy enough to keep the bait on the bottom, tie on a swivel, then a 16 inch leader with a hook. This lets the bait drift just above the bottom in the current. Choose a hook size to match the size of the catfish you wish to catch. For frying cats up to 3-4 pounds I generally use a number 4 eagle claw.

For Flatheads fish eddy areas with live bait suspended just off the bottom. I like 3-4 inch bream, generally fished on an eagle claw 6/0 live bait hook. At night I tie out limb lines in the same holes using 6-8 inch bream and 10/0 to 12/0 hooks. We regularly catch big flatheads that way up to the 40 - 50 pound range along with a few big blue's and channels.

Leave a comment:

• FloridaHunter1226
    replied
    Get some chicken or turkey livers at the store and put it on the hook and add some weights and hold on.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Buy some worms, I go out on the missippippi and worms do as well as livers or baitfish if I'm using rods. We're not talking other types.

Leave a comment:

• KMB33
    replied
    patience, patience, a little more patience, and some good bait.

Leave a comment:

• what are some helpful tips for tips for catching catfish?

what are some helpful tips for tips for catching catfish?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad