Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recently I have been eating a lot of catfish. For some reason, the front 1/4th of the fillet is extremely tough and hard to chew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently I have been eating a lot of catfish. For some reason, the front 1/4th of the fillet is extremely tough and hard to chew

Recently I have been eating a lot of catfish. For some reason, the front 1/4th of the fillet is extremely tough and hard to chew while the rest of the fish is delicious. Any idea why this is happening or how I can prevent it? Thanks.

I find that the thinner portions of the filet are more delicate, easier to cut and much more tender than the thicker portions, so I usually prefer two smaller filets rather than one large one. JMO.

Comment

Try cutting off the head first....

Comment

The thicker parts need to cook a little longer – even once the fillets are cooked enough to be safe, catfish need a little more to reach the right tenderness. If you are frying, that can be a problem since the batter can burn before the meat is fully cooked. One solution is to cut the front half of the filet into thinner portions before cooking, either horizontally or vertically. I like all kinds of fish, but catfish still is one of my favorites.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Good morning everyone
          by DakotaMan
          You really have little need for a long, heavy-for-caliber bullet if all your shots are within that range PH. Another thing to think about is that bullets...
          Today, 05:39 PM
        • Good morning everyone
          by fitch270
          Looks like most of the regular crew is on right now, what's everyone's plan for the day? I'm packing up gear and headed on the hill to shoot some rifles...
          08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
        • Reply to How do you fly ?
          by crm3006
          I either buy the rifle and scope as a combination, with a specific pairing or purpose in mind, or, if I find a really good deal on a scope, buy it to...
          Today, 05:09 PM
        • How do you fly ?
          by jhjimbo
          Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
          Today, 04:18 PM
        • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
          by 99explorer
          CRM - You forgot to post the source of that great news item you are asking us to cut and paste and forward on.
          Today, 05:06 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X