Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the other day i was fishing i had already kept a perch a catfish and a crappie. then i caught a 21 inch walleye and decided to k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the other day i was fishing i had already kept a perch a catfish and a crappie. then i caught a 21 inch walleye and decided to k

the other day i was fishing i had already kept a perch a catfish and a crappie. then i caught a 21 inch walleye and decided to keep it ,when i guy from across the river started yelling at me to throw it back. there are no regulations on this river for walleye and i am 14 so i dont need a fishing licence. but he comes to my side of the river to try and convince me to throw it back i said no and he starts swearing at me and walks away. after i caught a smallmouth he comes over again and starts making up laws and threatins to call the DNR. i tell were not doing anything wrong so go ahead. he never did call but he goes through the intire campground to tell everyone what happened and soon enough i see a ton of people with there fishing regulations out. what do you guys think of this?

Unfortunately in more populated areas A holes are more prevelant. Don't let it ruin your day of fishing. Out here on the fringes of fly over country if I see another person on my bend of the stream I move. Fishing should be just between you and the fish. Take pleasure in your successful angling and comfort in knowing that you are right. Those who can, catch fish, and those who can't, give grief to those who catch fish.

Comment

you're not wrong, the various fishermen in the
      gamefish cults like largemouth bass,walleye,steelhead,muskie etc. need to realize that their beloved fish are made of meat like all the other fish.

Comment

Don't let it bother you overmuch. This was obviously a deranged individual who believes in catch-and-release. The Good Lord made fish to eat, else He would not have made them taste so good.

Comment

Sounds like you had a good day fishing (other than the harassment anyway). Some folks are too obsessed with the catch-and-release concept. I release a lot of fish that would be legal to keep, but as long as it’s legal, it’s up to the individual. My friends and I tend to release most bass, especially smallmouth, just because they’re fun to catch but not the best eating. We set our own voluntary slot limit for walleye, where we keep the smaller ones (over the minimum length limit) and release anything over about 22-24 inches as those typically are the breeding females. BUT, I don’t hold it against anyone who wants to keep a legal fish for the pan.

Comment

Tell him to stop bullying you or YOU will call the DNC.

Comment

Are you 100% certain it was legal? If it was, the guy is just a jerk and doesn't deserve a second thought.

I was in a somewhat similar situation, once. A buddy and I were trout fishing in a put-and-take stream when we realized that all of the fish were near that opposite bank, opposite the parking lot and where nobody was fishing. They were out of range of all but the best casters. With a lot of effort, we made our way over there and slayed them. As we were back at the truck getting ready to go, somebody stopped by and made some rude remarks. I blew him off, but my buddy asked what he meant. It turns out that there was a sign stating that you can only fish from the near bank. All of the regulars knew the rule, but because of the way we walked in, we had no idea. Needless to say, I went home feeling like the jerk that day.

Comment

well if fish don't have any limits on the that means that the smaller ones need to be taken out to give room for the others to grow and i have actually had people tell me that a 24 lb carp was "an american goldfish" and that they where protected and did call the dnr on my and he ended up in jail(drunk in public, dwi) and i made the state magazine with the fish

Comment

If others were checking the regs and no one said anything to you, and DNR did not show up then I would not worry about it. This guy was being the ultimate jerk by doing what he did. Ignoring him was probably the best thing you could have done, and that makes bullies even madder.

Comment

I think you have no worries. Just a jerk. Enjoy eating your fish.

Comment

Knowing that somebody doesn't want you to eat the fish just makes them taste better. I have encountered people that say I shouldn't eat a largemouth bass. They're delicious! I'm 15 and the majority of the fishing I do is with my grandpa. He would throw me in the river if I threw back a good size bass. He believes in catch and release. Catch 'em and release them into the frying pan.

Comment

Hi...

Either he knew something you didn't, or he just got his DORK license renewed...!!

If you were proven right...talk to the fish cops about him and his nonsense.

Comment

Don't worry about it, he's just jealous he's not eating fish tonight.

Comment

If you know you are right then dont worry about it

Comment

That guy is a real pain in the butt. Because I'm 12, I don't really have the power against my elders. Don't pay attention to him. Just because you caught a smallmouth doesn't mean he should call the DNR.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad