Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so who here fishes for gar alot? I was wondering what's the best bait for them? I know for long nose gar it's best to use a f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so who here fishes for gar alot? I was wondering what's the best bait for them? I know for long nose gar it's best to use a f

Ok so who here fishes for gar alot? I was wondering what's the best bait for them? I know for long nose gar it's best to use a frayed rope because it will tangle up on their teeth. Yesterday I was fishing with shad u buy from wal mart and the gar aucatlly attacked my bright orange bobber instead of the fish. What do you guys use?

based on your situation I would go with a large golden shiner.

Comment

A bow and arrow works pretty good for me.

Comment

a good rig is a medium sized minnow, a plain old hook, a wire leader, all under a bobber about 6 inches deep. brock knows a lot about gar fishing. hopefully he will comment on this.

Comment

Use a 16th oz. jig head with a piece of worm. Use a rod that is at least 7', go sight fish a spillway. Stick the the worm right in front of their face. They will bite and when they do set the hook stoutly and straight up in hopes to break threw their rock hard mouths.

Comment

* 1/16th oz

Comment

when i gar fish i use johnson thinfisher and snag the gar. you might not get any right away but if you keep trying you should get some. the last time i went out i got a 3.5 foot gar and a 20 inch gar. i have only fished for gar in one place so i dont if its just the gar in that one place

Comment

Try fishing at night as well-the longnose I've been catching have been biting more after the sun goes down. Also, try cut bait. Take a large shad or minnow and cut it in half, use a smaller J hook so you can set the hook and the fish will be able to grab it. If the hook size is too large you will probably miss the fish. Steel leader is very important as well. Another important thing to remember is to give the fish some time b/c gar tend to swim with the bait before attempting to ingest it, especially if it is a large piece.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad