Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just set 2 crayfish traps out overnight both on a rock pile in about 4-6 feet of water, both baited with 1 fish head. When I c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just set 2 crayfish traps out overnight both on a rock pile in about 4-6 feet of water, both baited with 1 fish head. When I c

I just set 2 crayfish traps out overnight both on a rock pile in about 4-6 feet of water, both baited with 1 fish head. When I collected them the first 1 held nothing. The second one held a 10 inch bullhead that weighed about a pound! I looked online and trapping bullheads and catfish is done. Do any of you do this and if you do can you give me some advice. I want to start targeting some bullheads in traps.

if trout lines are "trapping" and legal in your state, they are excellent ways to increase your catfish yield.

run a line across a pond or river with hooks set every 3-4 ft. Use about a 2 ft leader on each hook. Bait with cutbait or chicken liver (best)

that simple

Comment

Check your state regs. In many, the use of traps or nets requires a commercial fishing license. This is typically very easy to obtain and may only cost a few dollars. I trapped catfish with a commercial license. I used congealed cow blood for bait (it has the consistency of liver and lasts about 24 hours in the current) and put traps in deep holes on the Missouri River. I made my own cylindrical traps out of 1 x 1.5 inch galvanized wire with a cone shaped mouth on one end. The entrance hole was limited to less than 3 inches in diameter so big catfish could not get in. The bait tube was about 2 12 inch diameter tube 18 inches long made of quarter inch galvanized mesh. The throat is aimed downstream so they can easily slide into the trap as they follow the scent up current. I got 300-500 fish a day with 18 traps during the summer.

Comment

Sorry "2 1/2" inch bait tube.

Comment

Wow thanks guy!!!

Comment

Dog food cans with holes poked in them is good bait for fish traps.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad