Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What line should I use for pike?I'm using steel leaders. Floro mono or braid. and what pound test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What line should I use for pike?I'm using steel leaders. Floro mono or braid. and what pound test?

What line should I use for pike?I'm using steel leaders. Floro mono or braid. and what pound test?

I use 8:40 spiderwire.

Comment

I would recommend 10 to 12 pound limp casting line line for casting (17 pound line for trolling) with about a two foot braided steel leader. The line should allow you to make long casts with Daredevil spoons without too much effort. I have not found pike to be line shy like some fish and protecting against the teeth on the line is a bigger factor than line visibility. I have caught something in the neighborhood of 1,000 northern pike over 18 pounds on this line size. The largest I caught was 27 lbs 8 oz so don't fear that the 10 pound line is not heavy enough. They only swim about six miles per hour so they don't shock the line when they hit or run. They are FULL of sharp teeth though so be sure to use steel braided leader.

Comment

Dakota knows what he's talking about.

Comment

Although I would say you could definitely get away with a shorter steel leader. I've used 8 inchers without any breakage.

Comment

I would like to try and put something else helpfull but Dakota nailed it.

Comment

ya cuz I've caught pike abunch of times just didnt know what line to use.

Comment

I like fireline, casts better than braid and is non stretch.

Comment

Use braid. It'll be harder to snap off on rocks with $10 lures. And its uv-safe. I like Spiderwire.

Comment

20 lb spiderwire camo braid

Comment

Use a super line/braid. Those are the strongest most impact resistant lines out there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad