Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this summer, I will be going up to Wisconsin to fish. usually we just fish for bass, crappies, bluegill, and perch. this year I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this summer, I will be going up to Wisconsin to fish. usually we just fish for bass, crappies, bluegill, and perch. this year I

this summer, I will be going up to Wisconsin to fish. usually we just fish for bass, crappies, bluegill, and perch. this year I am going to try for northern pike. it will be my first time targeting northerns specifically,so I have some questions. I have a daiwa regal pro rod and reel; will this work for pike if I spool it with 10 or 12 pound mono? or should I use my bait caster? ( abu garcia ambassadeur medium action) also have a Shakespeare Xterra. which of these should I use, and what kind of line? also I have a large rapala magnum, a medium sized spoon ( yellow with red spots), and assorted bass tackle. will this work for them? thanks.

Im not big into pike fishing, so I do not know a whole lot but I will try to help you out some. I would go with the bait caster. A good medium or medium heavy rod at the very least. You should also use at least a 20-30 lbs braided line with a steel leader attached to the end. I would not recommend mono due to the teeth if pike being extremely sharp. Your rapala and spoons would be OK if you dont want to go spend any extra money on tackle. You may want to stop off at a local bait shop in the area you plan on fishing and ask they people there to give you tips on what type of lures/live bait that have been working for others. I hope this help some, and hopefully someone with more experience Pike fishing will chime in give you more info.

Comment

Pick what ever rod you are most comfortable with. I do a lot of walleye fishing and catch northern doing so. I use spinning rod with 10 lbs test, medium action. If you are lake fishing use dare devils and medium spinners. In the rivers in Wisconsin. I use rebel craws and catch walleyes, bass and northern.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad