Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do i need to get started bowfishing for gar and carp in a lake

what do i need to get started bowfishing for gar and carp in a lake

i have a 14 foot boat and a bow but what else do i need. i have never gone bowfishing on a lake before

Comment

You need an arrow retriever and fishing arrow. and you are good to go. I like the ams bow fishing reel. When you shoot the line is free flowing and you can reel fish in like a rod and reel. Any fishing arrow will work.

Comment

A reel for your bow, about 200 ft. of 80-100 lb. test braided line, and a fish arrow. Some folks like the type that the head screws off and you can pull the arrow back through easier. I like the Muzzy type, that has the replaceable tip. Get an extra tip or two, because you will hit rocks, logs, and the bottom occasionally. Some folks like to use a slip on rubber fletching, also. Don't really know if it makes your arrow fly any better, or not.
        Remember to shoot just a tad under your fish, and cut and re-tie your line at the stress point (at the arrow point) at the first sign of fraying. Good Luck!

Comment

I started with a simple wooden arrow. It floats if you miss and when you hit a fish, it usually sticks rather than passing through. This usually makes enough drag on one side so they just swim in a circle until you fetch them. Don't use wooden arrows on a bow with more than 45 pounds of draw weight though as it may break on exit and damage your bow hand. The AMS bow fishing rig is the best I've ever used but it cost $$$. If you shoot a compound bow that is the best route.

Comment

In my state, the law requires a heavy solid fiberglass arrow which rules out the use of regular hunting arrows. I use what is called a cajun shoot through reel which is nothing more than a section of a plastic five gallon bucket taped to the bow. For line I use carpenter's string. I do a lot of my bowfishing at night in salt water which I have found to be hard on compound bows so I mostly use a vintage Wing wooden recurve. You can actually use anything from an old empty soda bottle to a spinning reel to handle the line. Just make sure that the line feeds freely off whatever it is stored on.

Comment

Some type of lights for the front of your boat. I got two off road lights at Walmart for $25 I have them bolted to the front of my 10' jon boat and wired to my trolling motor battery. The gar especially will be out at night and this is the best time to shoot them. Some type of platform on the front of your boat is extremely advantageous as well even if it is only six inches or so high as being more on top of the fish not only eliminates some glare but it's just easier to shoot something if you're on top of it. Polarized glasses are important because unlike normal fishing you have to actually see the fish and with lots of glare on the surface of the water the fish are hard to see. A tough arrow rest as well. Bow fishing arrows are much heavier than normal carbon arrows and (in my experience) will weigh down many arrow rests (I ruined a whisker biscuit this way). Fiberglass arrows with tips that unscrew are the best in my opinion. It's very hard to pull an arrow out of a flopping fish and a removable tip is a serious luxury. Bowfishing arrows take a serious beating and when they break there isn't anything more frustrating so I choose the fiberglass. Nocks will break and come off your arrows a lot so spare nocks are cheap and a must. I use muzzy arrows and an AMS retriever reel. Good luck to you!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad