Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you required to give your SSN for a fishing license in Texas? I know they ask for it but am I required by law to give it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you required to give your SSN for a fishing license in Texas? I know they ask for it but am I required by law to give it?

Are you required to give your SSN for a fishing license in Texas? I know they ask for it but am I required by law to give it?

Here in wisconsin its only for hunting licenses I think in the event you have a felony you cannot own a posses a firearm. Im not sure the reasoning for it for fishing?

Comment

Here in PA you do. Hunting licenses too. We were told it's to track down deadbeat dads not paying child support. I've never heard of them catching anyone this way though.

Comment

allegnmtn, you’re correct. That is the same reason why they require the SS number in New Jersey, because the computer will stop deadbeat’s dads from spending money to go hunting.

They should also include the SS number of convicted felons for all the license agency computers to spot the hunting license from being processed.
        I wonder if convicted felons are allowed to hunt with a bow and arrow? Does anybody know that answer? Maybe that is why felons are not blocked in the license agent computers.

Comment

In the state of Maine a felon can possess and hunt with a bow, many a talented woodsmen that went down the wrong path in their younger years have resorted to staying active in the hunting world with a compound bow. I do agree with not allowing a deadbeat dad to hunt, however many a good men have been to the cleaners through divorce and child custody and it would be a travesty to revoke their one true passion left because of inability to emburse a thankless women that drew the long straw. I can see our justice systems putting the screws to undeserving folks because of a mere computer making decisions based on recorded data.... It seems like a sad catch 22 to me, but I've been wrong before.

Comment

There is no reason for them to ask for your SSN, everything they need to know about you is recorded on your drivers license. If you do not have one get a photo ID with the same info like the ones your required for acquiring a job (at least in Ohio your required to have a State photo ID). Your drivers license has your SSN in it but not viewable with out scanning it. Ohio only asks for your DL they swipe it and your on your way. I could somewhat understand it in Texas with illegal immigrants making it easier to detect false information, but PA, MA, NJ, is a little extreme.

Comment

phw, talented woodsmen who went down the wrong path in their younger years, don't have to use a compound bow and arrow for the rest of their life hunting.

They can get their record expunged with an attorney. They would then get all the rights back including the right to vote, able to leave this country on a vacation, serving on jury duty, getting a government job and the best right of all being able to own guns in your possession.

Comment

How silly is that! If a deadbeat dad is working the govt will know where he is through employer tax filing. If he's not working what's the point in pursuing him anyway. He obviously doesn't have any money. A waste of time!

Comment

Gary,
                  Not everyone can get their records expunged. I know of probably a dozen or more that were convicted of stealing in their younger teenage years and the Judge won't restore their rights even after several attempts. These guys are now in their 50's.

Comment

Conner Henry- Since your question was about Texas, I will give you a straight answer. No. Your last four is all you must provide, by law.

Comment

Sarge, I agree with you, it does depend on the crime and the Honorable Judge's ruling on the expungement. Pray-hunt-fun didn't state what the crime was for those woodsmen in question during their younger years. It may be the lesser crime of the 3rd degree felonies.

I know a guy in New Jersey who didn't file his state income taxes and received a 3rd degree felony. His attorney got his criminal record expunged via the fax machine and with certified letters to the Judge. The expungement cost him only four hundred dollars and the Attorney never left his office.
                      The Woodsmen have nothing to lose and can call an attorney for a little legal advice.

Comment

Sarge, I agree with you, it does depend on the crime and the Honorable Judge's ruling on the expungement. Pray-hunt-fun didn't state what the crime was for those woodsmen in question during their younger years. It may be the lesser crimes of the 3rd degree felonies.

I know a guy in New Jersey who didn't file his state income taxes and received a 3rd degree felony. His attorney got his criminal record expunged via the fax machine and with certified letter sent to the Judge. The expungement cost him only four hundred dollars and the attorney never left his office.
                        The woodsmen have nothing to lose and can call an attorney for a little legal advice if the expungement could be done for that crime.

Comment

I would give a kidney to go fishing in some lakes in Texas

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad