• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it safe to eat chevie made from panfish

is it safe to eat chevie made from panfish

Safe and delicious!

Comment

ok thank you wanted an answer befor i tryed it do you have to freeze it or something first

Comment

yes for the most part but I would stay away from warm water pan fish as they can have more parasites than cold water fish.

Comment

I presume this is some kind of sushi? Okay to eat raw fish as long as it has been frozen first and then thawed. Be aware that some white meat fish get kinda mushy after being frozen and then thawed. Best example of that is grayling. Taste great when cooked fresh but after frozen, yuck.

Comment

I'm assuming you mean ceviche? I wouldn't do it with fish from dirty water like a manmade lakes, farm ponds, and things of that nature because of pollution more prevalent bacteria, parasites, etc.... As all menus at restaurants state "Eating undercooked food can lead to disease or sickness".

Comment

To be 100% safe, you can freeze it first.

I eat it without freezing first because it has a better texture, but I do all kinds of crazy things like cook my domestic pork medium rare, eat street food in Mexico, and order raw oysters in the months without an "R" so I guess I just like to live on the edge

Comment

Ok the rivers and creeks I get the fish from are crystal clear 65degree south Alabama springs I have been wadding fishing and drinking since the day I was born does this water pose a threat

Comment

The only kind of threat that isn't killed with freezing is chemicals. But toxic pollution would still be in the meat even if the fish was burnt to a crisp before consuming it.

Freeze it first and you have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice

Comment

Im with greenhead on this one.

Comment

All that I'm saying is use your own instinct on this one. Greenhead has far more experience(brass balls) than I. Greenhead my wife's cousin married a Mexican woman and she.... (well long story). Regardless she wasn't as brave as you! She did however come from a extremely poor area of Mexico (I know sounds stupid but that's how she described it). My wife's cousin and wife went back to visit her family 2 years ago the 1st night there his almost new Ford F-250 was almost stripped clean.

Comment

Hi...

I wouldn't do it. But not because I've tried ceviche a few times and have never found it to my liking...!!

Comment

I don't think you should do it unless you are alone or with somebody.

Comment

I saw this made on a PBS cooking show that features Mexican dishes. On the show they made it fresh right on the shore. I am also wanting to try it out on other fish. I think Crappie would be awesome. I also heard of Parana being eaten raw with lime or lemon juice. I supose like sushi, its safe to eat as long as its fresh.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Or has someone write it. It seems most book deals only net a few million. I think the Obamas got in the single millions.

We don't know what...
                                Today, 09:58 PM
                              • I paid more taxes than Trump in 16 and 17
                                by rock rat
                                Both years he paid $750

And of the 15 years before that he paid no taxes in 10 of those years.

He works as hard at tax avoidance...
                                Yesterday, 06:29 PM
                              • Reply to Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Won't disagree, but getting away from Gov. Cuomo (D-NY) is a matter of life and death.

P.S. - nothing would please Cuomo more than getting...
                                Today, 09:49 PM
                              • Big Green
                                by FirstBubba
                                Remington to be bought out by seven (7) different investors!...
                                Today, 10:05 AM
                              • Reply to Bad news for COVID-19 "cases"!
                                by rock rat
                                OSHA suggests that the safest method for retail establishments to deal with non compliant customers regarding masks is to not confront them. Some non...
                                Today, 09:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X