Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So far,I have only caught one catfish in my entire 15 years of life. I want to catch more but instead of using a lure, which cau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So far,I have only caught one catfish in my entire 15 years of life. I want to catch more but instead of using a lure, which cau

So far,I have only caught one catfish in my entire 15 years of life. I want to catch more but instead of using a lure, which caught the first one, i am planning on using different dough baits or dip baits i have seen advertised. But i have some questions. How well do dough & dip baits work and which one (Dough or Dip) works best if i want to catch catfish. Also, are there any suggestions on how to present these types of baits to the catfish in order to catch them?

Mold a good strong doughball around a big treble hook, and above that string on one of those spongy stinkbait tubes, dip the whole thing in a sick nasty rotting reaking concoction of your choice (chicken innards and cheese are good starting ingredients). Hang it 3 feet below a good sized sinker, throw it out there, and hold on tight.

Comment

catfish are bottom dwellers, if you want to use stink bait, roll up some in a ball and toss a few around where you want to fish to attract them. they also like shrimp and worms. I have caught catfish with minnows on a trot line. I know of some people who stuff a bunch of stinky stuff in a sock weight it down and chunk it in the water where they will be fishing. good luck

frank

Comment

Use worms. And baiting the area as suggested is a great idea.

Comment

Dough's are good, but don't rule out chicken livers, hot dogs, worms, or small fish (shad,bluegill,etc.)

Comment

besides the basic baits mentioned I've heard of guys catching catfish on chunks of Ivory soap.

Comment

at night is the best time. I fish off of the dock I just drop my bait in right there. And I know it sounds wierd but I use hotdogs and usually within 30 minites I have about 10 catfish.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

I have found the Berkley Gulp dip balls to be very effective. I was even using them under bobbers if you can get the line down there low enough. But working them still right off the bottom works well too. Stink baits with the stink bait worms (these hold the stink bait) works well too. Worms and cut bait are old stand bys as well. Don't forget to bring a clean towel with you and some tongue depressors to push the dip worms around in the bait canisters.

Comment

jay, I've heard the ivory soap thing to. Never tried it.

Comment

Do they have a bait called "Catfish Charlie" where you live? Try on rod/reel, trot-lines, or jugs. Has always worked well for me.

Comment

I would say to skip the dough, because I have not had that much luck with that, and go straight to chicken or turkey livers. Add sinker and your ready to go.

Comment

i just caught a 8lber last night and i use a dough which i mold into a ball and then cast and let it set. i was called bloody bloody.

Comment

I do not like dough or livers. Neither stay on well. I've had some luck with dip bait on a plastic holder. However, frozen shrimp and live worms seem to work the best. Shrimp is the best bait to use in heavy currents I have found.

Comment

PS- Unless you aren't dropping the bait straight down or using minnows, you should use enough weight the current won't move the bait. This way, you know for sure you have a fish and it's not just the current.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by 99explorer
                                CRM - It would be nice if you could address the issues presented in opposing comments instead of deriding the person posting the comments.
                                Anybody
                                Today, 01:09 AM
                              • Trump Discusses Covid Statistics
                                by rock rat

​​​​​​[email protected]: “Oh, you’re doing death as a proportion of cases. I’m talking about death as a proportion of population....
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. We've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                              • Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X