Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite thing to fish for bass this time of year. How do you rig it.... Same with any fish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite thing to fish for bass this time of year. How do you rig it.... Same with any fish.

What is your favorite thing to fish for bass this time of year. How do you rig it.... Same with any fish.

Depends on the day and the water temperature. On a clear day on a lake with clear water I like a jerkbait. If the water is a bit muddy from spring rains go with a dark colored spinner bait with a Colorado blade. Water temps can very but on a warming trend you can throw a squarebill crankbait into the spawning flats to get some prespawners that have moved up due to the warming trend. You can catch bass tons of different ways this time of year.

Comment

Three baits that I like for early spring are:
      1/16oz white Northland spinnerbait with a 1" grub trailer. Let it lift and fall or fish it around shallow wood or floating bogs.
      #8-12 Husky Jerk. An erratic retrieve with long pauses works best for me.
      Small lipless crankbaits fished on the dropoffs and pinchpoints at the entrances to backwaters.
      We still have ice on the water here in MN but these three are my favorite rigs for early bass. That little spinnerbait especially.

Comment

a terminator 3/8 ounce spinnerbait
        heddon zara spook
        fatal attraction 45 or fatal attraction 62 (depending on the legality of umbrella rigs)
        yo zuri jerkbait on cold windy overcast days

Comment

Live bait has been and will always be the best "bait" to attract a hungry piscivore. Determining what the fish are eating in a given place and at a given time will tell you what type of lure that is needed to closely imitate their diet. But in the case of bass, more are caught just defending their territory than feeding. In the case of defending territory, just about anything that will get the bass's attention as a threat will get attacked. I like to use a Heddon Vamp Spook as a top water lure because it seems to work on bass, specks, reds, and many other species I fish for. Next for bass, I like a Snagless Sally with a pork frog trailer. It is an inline spinner with a gold blade. I prefer gold spinners because the gold color works great in both muddy water and in clear water. I no longer use soft plastics because I have learned over the years that natural pork rind works just as good or even better for me. The natural pork rind is a renewable resource and will biodegrade much faster than plastisols which are petrochemicals. The up side to lets say a natural pork rind worm over a soft plastic worm, is that it is more durable and just one can be used to catch several hundred fish providing it does not get hung up and lost. After a fishing trip, I just take the natural pork rind worm off the hook and put it back into the jar for the next trip. Just one jar of #147 Uncle Josh natural pork rind worm in black, Texas rigged, lasted me longer than five pounds of soft plastic worms would have.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad