Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some unique, novel, odd, weird modes of fishing you have seen, done, or heard of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some unique, novel, odd, weird modes of fishing you have seen, done, or heard of?

What are some unique, novel, odd, weird modes of fishing you have seen, done, or heard of?

Today I read an article about how in china they would train river otters to fish for them. They would put a band around the neck and then the otters would retreive.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to say the band was stop them from eating the fish.

Comment

Noodling may not be novel, but is certainly is weird. You just stick your hand in a fishhole by the side of a river bank and wait till the fish bites you. Usually a big old catfish grabs you by the arm, and you haul him out.
        No thanks.

Comment

Yeah my uncle use to do that the biggest he cauht was a 78 pound flathead.

Comment

My dad and I once caught 75 mackerel one night by hand (about a mile away from land on an outer reef in Fiji)
            I have also seen the nationals here in PNG pound up a specific root and throw it in the river. The river messes with the fishes gills and they basically pass out and float to the top, where all the kids of the tribe are waiting to fill baskets.

Comment

Back in the early 60's, I used to stretch a net up vertically down the center and length of my old cypruss skiff resembling a tennis net. Next, I would rig a 12 volt light bulb up above the net. I would take the skiff powered by an old Champion outboard at night and just make circles in Weeks bay. Mullet would jump at the light hitting the net and fall into the boat.

Comment

Those both sound rather interesting.
                Quinton I don't mean to sound dumb but where/ What is PNG

Comment

My brothers and I used to love pitching grasshoppers up into culverts in the little ditches in town here in Colorado. Actually caught some pretty nice browns fairly regularly.

Comment

Knife Freak: No worries, PNG stands for Papua New Guinea, a Pacific island nation due north of Australia. It is the eastern half of the island of Papua. The western half (West Papua) is part of Indonesia.

Comment

Dynamite, scoop up the fish with a net when they float to the surface.

Comment

Telephone works well, just don't get caught.

Comment

Go to YouTube and look up “Brazilian ice fishing.” Short video – no ice involved, post-hole digger instead of an auger, big fish. Very interesting.

Comment

Thanks I've heard of Papua New Guinea I have just never heard of the abbreviation PNG.

Comment

Drover
                              That was really interesting about the "Brazilian Ice Fishing". I wonder if that would work o the floton of louisiana and the rest of the south.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad