Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a recurve bow that I would like to use for bowfishing, the bow is not tapped for a sight, so I cannot mount my ams retriv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a recurve bow that I would like to use for bowfishing, the bow is not tapped for a sight, so I cannot mount my ams retriv

I have a recurve bow that I would like to use for bowfishing, the bow is not tapped for a sight, so I cannot mount my ams retriver. The bow is a custom bow that pulls around 60 pounds at full draw. Would it hurt the function of this bow if I had someone tap it? Where should I bring it to get it tapped? How expensive is it?

You can tap it safely. The AMS is a great rig and well worth the effort if you can tolerate that heavy draw while bow fishing. Take it to an archery shop. They will have to know what they are doing. It is common to tap recurve bows for competitive shooting so that counter weights can be added just like with the compound bows.

Comment

like he said you can take it to an archery shop or you could take it too a custom bowyer. Price depends on the shop. You should have no problem tapping a bow for bowfishing

Comment

Don't drill holes into a custom bow. It will lower it's value. Go to Ebay, buy a cheap bow in the 40-45 lb range and fit it for the AMS system.

Comment

I kind of like buckhunter's advice. Mainly because I prefer the 40lb weight range for bow fishing. I use a three finger draw for getting off quick snap shots and that is much tougher with a 60 pound draw weight. When your fingers are wet, a 40 pound draw is much nicer. You can probably buy a cheap used bow for what it would cost you to tap the recurve. Whether it is important for you to retain recurve value is up to you. The good thing about bow fishing with the 60 pound recurve though is that it is great practice for deer hunting. Once you get to the point of nailing a fleeing carp from 20 yards, a standing deer will look like a BIG target.

Comment

Go to http:tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=072591

This site will show you how to build a cajun shoot through reel that only has to be taped onto the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
              You can tap it safely. The AMS is a great rig and well worth the effort if you can tolerate that heavy draw while bow fishing. Take it to an archery shop. They will have to know what they are doing. It is common to tap recurve bows for competitive shooting so that counter weights can be added just like with the compound bows.
              Hi guys, Ive always shot a compound and I'm thinking of going to recurve!!What recurve is the best out there? What should i look for in a bow when i buy? My DL is 30!! Any extra info would help!
              http://hunthacks.com/best-recurve-bow/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad