Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any experience with Gulp minnows or similiar? I've been thinking about them for trout, small mouth, and large mout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any experience with Gulp minnows or similiar? I've been thinking about them for trout, small mouth, and large mout

Anybody have any experience with Gulp minnows or similiar? I've been thinking about them for trout, small mouth, and large mouth in appropriate sizes. What sizes do you like? How do you rig them? Thanks, all.

007, I have used them and they work but I have had some issues. I think they are hard to keep fresh and they get stiff. If you can find good fresh ones and be diligent about keeping the bag shut they are fine. I went back to using regular grubs and minnows for lure fishing.
    I had my best luck rigging them as trailers on small spinnerbaits and jigs. The little jigs worked especially well for trout. Typically I use grubs in the 1-3" range.
    Fellows I know that ice fish swear by them in situations where bait is hard to keep alive.
    ps If you leave them rigged on a lure and they dry out you have to cut them off, they get really hard.

Comment

I have used them a number of times on jigs and they have worked pretty good, caught bass, pike, perch,walleye and a couple of crappie on them. I don't think that they are as good as live bait but in situations where you cannot get or use live bait I think they work rather well.

Comment

A couple of seasons ago there was a shortage of live minnows so we used the Gulp minnows for ice fishing and managed to still catch fish through the ice using them.

Comment

I've used Power Grubs a few times for trout with some success. I drift them and rig them the same way I would a Salmon Egg. Was just looking for a different look.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad