Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm on the market for a new muskie reel. Price isn't really an issue. Just looking for opinions. However, at the time, I can onl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on the market for a new muskie reel. Price isn't really an issue. Just looking for opinions. However, at the time, I can onl

I'm on the market for a new muskie reel. Price isn't really an issue. Just looking for opinions. However, at the time, I can only afford one, so for now, it needs to be a good "all around" reel

Just a thought. I do not muskie fish, but, I have been in the fishing business for a longtime in many different capacities. I watch Musky Hunter on my CABLE TV, and those guys use a big rod, and big capacity reel that would not meet my definition as an "all around" reel. To big for most all of the fishing I have done (ie) salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, walleye etc.

Comment

Sorry, let me specify, when I say "all around" I mean all around in the Muskie world. Just a decent reel for buck tails, jerkbaits, crank baits, gliders and top water. Stuff like that. I've been looking at the Revo winch, Abu Garcia record, shimano curado, daiwa Lexa.

Comment

Abu Garcia 7000. It's a great muskie reel.

Comment

def have to say the abu garcia pro rocket in 6500 works well for me in the carp fishing world so they will handle a muskie. they run around $ 160 or so

Comment

Any of the round reels with a large capacity spool will work for your situation. I have used a Shimano Calutta 400 series and an Ambassadeur 5500 in salt water fishing which is similar to your requirements. The Ambassadeur 6500 would fit your situation even better. I personally have retired all my round reels in favor of low profile bass type reels. The low profile reels have an advantage for casting and working the baits you mentioned but the lack of line capacity can be a big problem when fighting a large fish.

Comment

For trolling and bait fishing, I like the Ambassadeur 6500 too. I like spinning rods for casting. I like the Penn reels and they have worked well for me. I don't muskie fish but have caught many similar fish (lots of 20lb + northerns) on the Penns and have come to love them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad