Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am wanting to plan a family reunion fishing trip with my Dad and Brother. We all live in different states now. Does anyone hav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am wanting to plan a family reunion fishing trip with my Dad and Brother. We all live in different states now. Does anyone hav

I am wanting to plan a family reunion fishing trip with my Dad and Brother. We all live in different states now. Does anyone have any ideas on where we could go that wouldnt empty the bank account, but still be a fun and memorable trip for the family?

In what area do you live? Our family meets in Ontario (North of Sault Ste. Marie) each summer to fish and hang out as a family. We have a cabin up there, but there are a lot of small motels/lodges for a decent price and many of the locals are friendly about general places to fish, but they won't give up their best spots for Walleye or Brook Trout.

Comment

Come to Northern Ontario. There is more water than land up here. If one lake isn't that good, go try another. The choices are endless.

Boundary Waters or Quetico for canoe trips but that might not be doable for everyone. We're having a big sports show in town this week. I'll try to pick up some lodge literature and see what I can find for you. Keep bugging me if I don't get back right away.

Comment

What kind of fishing do you and your family want to try? Canada sounds like an amazing place to fish and I hope some day I will be able to fish up there! A little more information would be helpful though!

Comment

Many different states have good fishing depending on what you want to go for. With a little digging, you can research what a 5-day or so fishing license will cost for out of state. Typically, it isn't too bad.

These days, you can find many places to go with a wide variety of accomodations such as cabin rentals to tent camping.

My best trout fishing came on overnight pack trips in the Sierra Nevadas. When I was growing up, my dad would take us kids and put packs on our llamas and hike into the mountains for a week or so.

Comment

Camping in Yellowstone with the family always gets good reviews, so does Glacier in MT. I would definentually suggest camping though. Camping was always a very memorable experience for my family.

Comment

Rent 3 kayaks and have someone drop up off 20-30 miles upstream from a pick up point. Float, camp, fish your way to the pick up point. Any river with public land will suffice. I do this solo and it's my favorite time on the water.

Comment

Fishing at Glacier Park generally speaking sucks. I know, I was raised right there and still own a home in Columbia Falls. The Middle Fork of the Flathead is improving I'm told, largely because it's entirely catch and release now. But it's improved from about zero so I'm not sure how good it really is. Fishing at both Glacier and Yellowstone is currently being ruined by invasion of lake trout (invasive species). Lots of them about a foot long and a half inch deep. I believe the limit on them in Flathead Lake is 35 per day. But they're about as much fun to catch as a wet tube sock.

Comment

The Great Lakes fishing for King Salmon on a charter boat is cheap and tons of fun.

Comment

My family goes to Mono Lake every year and we have done so for many years. We love the remoteness and the convenience of the restaurant and facilities. Plus the rental cabins are awesome in that grungy, retro kind of way. plus the trout fishing is beyond excellent!

Comment

Minnesota has this wording listed on their license plate, "Land of 10,000 Lakes". In fact, there are 11,842 lakes that are 10 acres or more. Should be some awesome fishing there.

Comment

Hi...

Like so many others, your question was chock full of NO information...!!

You left it too open-ended to let us give you an informed opinion.

Where do you, your dad and brother live...??

Comment

Gary's suggestion about charter fishing for salmon is excellent. Lake Michigan is perhaps the best choice for that. May not be able to safely eat that many but catching them is a blast. And usually lots to catch. Best thing is just about anybody can handle it, especially those who might be getting up in years. Canoe trip often isn't for them.

Comment

My Brother still lives in our home state of Illinois. I live in Pennsylvania, and my parents have retired to Alabama. We fish for just about anything but carp. Enjoying all the suggestions so far, thank you everyone.

Comment

OntarioHonker is right on. I have had some great king salmon charters out of saugatuck, michigan.

Walley fishing in lake erie is great out of port clinton, ohio.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad