Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what are good lures and tactics for northern pike? also, what action rod and what kind of reel should I get? finally, how heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are good lures and tactics for northern pike? also, what action rod and what kind of reel should I get? finally, how heavy

what are good lures and tactics for northern pike? also, what action rod and what kind of reel should I get? finally, how heavy should my line be?

Spring time big slow, white spinners/plugs in weedy bays near the mouth of a stream. Stiff rod, with steel leader or 30 mono shock leader. Slow retrieve with lots of action. Or for more fun grab a fly rod with a big white articulated streamer. Its deadly because you can present the streamer slowly but twitch it a lot.

Comment

The nice thing about northerns is they are both stupid and mean. This means just about anything will work. Here are a few that have consistently produced for me over the years:
      -Inline spinners esp. Mepps. I take the treble off and rig a EWG hook with a white tube or minnow bait. Blade is usually white and red or gold/brass. Sometimes they like silver or black with yellow spots. Use #4 or bigger.
      -Spinnerbaits in white or chartreuse. I like a single Colorado blade in gold or silver. Blade color seems to matter less here. I will often use a tube as a trailer.
      -Lipless crankbaits in black and gold.
      -Kwikfish or Lazy Ikes when slow is the ticket.
      -Rubber swimbaits but be prepared to use a bunch as northerns tear them up. I have thrown away a ton with the tail eaten off. They especially like the Storm Crappie.
      -Wiggle Warts big size. My best producer is green with black spots.
      -Rapala Husky Jerks in sizes 10-14. Black and gold has worked best for me. I take all the trebles off and rig with single hooks.
      -Finally they will take a variety of topwaters. Scumfrogs, buzzbaits and Zara Spooks are my favorites.
      Northerns will thrash endlessly so I often remove most or all the trebles from baits and rig with large single octopus or EWG hooks. I can personally attest that having a northern thrashing on the other end of a lure imbedded in your hand is a thrilling experience that you will not care to repeat. I use thin wire leaders in 18-20lb test or 30lb flouro and 14 or 20lb Fireline.
      Northerns are awesome and big northerns are a real thrill. By the way do not get the slime on your boat carpet if you can help it. PU
      Happy fishing!

Comment

I love the Salmo Hornet is size 6 in the firetiger color. If you're out to catch good eater size northers, this lure is my favorite lure. It is a smaller lure, but some of the bigger northers will also take it. On a trip to Minnesota this past summer, I threw nothing but this lure. By the end of the week long trip, the paint was pretty much gone. I was just using 17lb trilene line with no wire leader. Northers are fun to fight on bass gear.

Comment

My favorite for northerns is a genuine red and white Daredevil. Northerns don't swim fast and are relatively easy on line so I use 10-12 pound mono for casting with a medium/heavy action spinning rod. Just be sure to put a steel leader on or their teeth will snap mono immediately. They are not line shy at all so you can use single strand steel or braided steel, whichever you choose. I prefer to cast an 18 inch braided steel leader.

Just check your knots for strength because a 30 pounder can pull hard and check for knicks in your mono so that it doesn't break on one of these big boys. Sharpen your hooks so they stick in the tough head and jaw hide and you are good to go.

I've caught over 1,000 of these big boys weighing over 20 pounds on this type of rig. You don't need heavy line... you need to be able to cast efficiently to cover the shore line and quickly attack any swirls you see at any range. For me, casting distance outweighs line strength by far in hooking up with more big northerns. If you are bothered by little four pounders, switch to a very large Daredevil. Typically nothing under 10 pounds will hit the largest lure they make but the big boys will go out of their way for it.

Comment

I like to use an Abu Garcia 5600 C3 with a heavy weight rod. For baits, large in line spinners and spinner baits cover water fast. From mid summer on try a 6-8 inch sucker under a bobber in 7-10 feet of water near drop offs and weed beds. If you can get near both at the same time you are in the money.

Comment

I like a heavy rod with a Abu Garcia 5600 C3 loaded with 15# test line. Large in-line spinners and spinner baits will help you cover water quickly. From mid summer on try an 8 inch sucker under a bobber in 7-10 feet of water near drop offs or weed beds. If you can find these two things close to each other you will be in the money.

Comment

#1 5/8oz or larger Red & White DareDevil, #2 Mr Twister TopProp, #3 Believer #4 Sluggo. The Daredevil and Believers need pretty open waters as far as weeds are concerned. The TopProp & Sluggo arei best in weedbeds,lilly pads and the likes. Suick plugs and jerk baits work but are much harder to throw. But once fall arrives they are hard to beat. look for river bays and shallow coves and work the weedlines. Good waters produce quick results. hit every pocket you see.

Comment

Hi...

When fishing remote AK lakes, I've had the best 'luck' on northerns with a Rapala, fished at a medium speed.

Comment

Northerns will hit anything that moves including your fingers of you splash them in the water. Big Rapalas would be my second most effective lure. The only problem with them and most crank baits is that they have multiple treble hooks. I really hate removing all these hooks from the toothy throat of a big northern. I even smash the barbs on my Daredevils so I don't waste valuable fishing time trying to pull hooks out of those big toothy mouths.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad