Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's February and i live in PA near the Delaware river. It's about 40-50 degrees outside (not water temp) and i want to fish for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's February and i live in PA near the Delaware river. It's about 40-50 degrees outside (not water temp) and i want to fish for

It's February and i live in PA near the Delaware river. It's about 40-50 degrees outside (not water temp) and i want to fish for Catfish in the river when it gets a little warmer 50-55 degrees and i don't know what to do to catch the Channel Cats i tried 2 times with Chicken liver and Minnows on the bottom last week and only got one bite which im sure was from s Walleye. I fish from the bank and i have no clue what bait or how to fish now for channels . Do you guys have any techniques or tips to help me catch some channels? Thanks

Wait till the water warms up significantly. IDK how big the Delaware river is but if it gets low enough to wade then wade it looking for holes and toss some cut bait in there with nothing else on it. I only fish small lakes and rivers for cats so If the Delaware is big I cant help much. But I can say at those temps cats will not be actively feeding. February is a good month for trout and crappie.

Comment

Good comment from Ncarl... they don't feed much in the cold water. It is walleye and sauger time. If I had to catch a channel cat in winter, I would probably use a spawn sack filled with congealed blood (chicken, beef, etc.). I'd throw it in the deepest water I could find and let it sit there all day if necessary. They will follow the particles and scent way up the current to the source. They will nibble real slow so be patient.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
        by fitch270
        I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
        Today, 01:40 PM
      • 300 yard .22lr
        by jhjimbo
        Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
        Today, 11:28 AM
      • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
        by jhjimbo
        I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
        Today, 01:28 PM
      • Cheaper Than Dirt
        by jhjimbo
        Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
        Today, 12:21 PM
      • Reply to Trump
        by Ontario Honker Hunter
        So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
        Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X