Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is deer liver a good catfish bait? I'm going this Saturday in Alabama. Is there anything specific I need to know about fishing t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is deer liver a good catfish bait? I'm going this Saturday in Alabama. Is there anything specific I need to know about fishing t

Is deer liver a good catfish bait? I'm going this Saturday in Alabama. Is there anything specific I need to know about fishing this time of the year? I've heard that its just the same as fishing in the summer but I just wanna make sure. Thanks, Andrew

a catfish will eat just about anything as long as it smells good

Comment

We used pieces of beef heart on our spinners when fishing for walleye and northerns in Northern Manitoba last summer and it worked great. Liver is kinda soft and I would think it might be hard to keep on the hook. Heart meat was fairly tough and hung in there very well. Much better than minnows! The fish were nuts for it too. Just about a waste of time to throw the hook out without it.

Comment

Yes it will work fine. I have also had great luck using blackbird breast, andything that is loaded with blood should attract catfish.

Comment

My friend deer liver is good me bait! Dont waste it on fish!

Comment

All you really need is the connective tissue (sinew) that is normally trimmed off the liver anyway. It is tough, will stay on the hook, and produces the same bloody chumming effect that attracts fish. As to the liver itself, take it and freeze it enough to make it firm. Then slice it very thin like bacon. Mix up a seasoned flour with salt, black pepper, a touch of onion powder and maybe even a pinch of garlic powder. Then dip the thin strips of liver in cold water and roll in the flour. Then repeat the dipping of the floured strips in the water and back into the flour until you have at least three layers of flour on the strips of liver. Then pan fry the strips in peanut oil until a light brown. I assure you that after eating, you will never waste a deer liver again.

Comment

I use chicken liver all the time. My wife and I caught 550 catfish for the year which speak volumes of its success. No reason deer liver wouldnt work. Just take some sewing thread and tie it on a circle hook with multiple wraps. Happy fishing.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 300 yard .22lr
                by fitch270
                I wouldn’t spend that much on a 10/22 but I might on a bolt gun. For that kind of money I expect some style to go with it, of the Cooper or Annie level....
                Today, 01:40 PM
              • 300 yard .22lr
                by jhjimbo
                Would you spend $900 for a Ruger 10/22 to shoot 300yds ? A little over 1" at 100 and a little 0ver 6" at 300yds. Lapua and SK ammo used....
                Today, 11:28 AM
              • Reply to Cheaper Than Dirt
                by jhjimbo
                I like the Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 147gr 9mm (not +P) and the 180gr in .40. Check out the statistics. Some LEO friends always suggest the heavy...
                Today, 01:28 PM
              • Cheaper Than Dirt
                by jhjimbo
                Lots of ammo back in stock, but the prices are right up there to....
                Today, 12:21 PM
              • Reply to Trump
                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                So Trumpish. Everything is about looking for dirt. Or making it up (e.g. the "birther" crap). The guy couldn't win on his merits ... because...
                Today, 01:28 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X