Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for sportsman out there on ice fishing please give your opinion even if you have never had the pleasure of venturing ou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for sportsman out there on ice fishing please give your opinion even if you have never had the pleasure of venturing ou

Question for sportsman out there on ice fishing please give your opinion even if you have never had the pleasure of venturing out on a frozen lake. Question in first post.

I live near the bay of green bay ice fish it regularly and for those that don't know it is a very volatile ice environment, I have been learning from a licensed captain and guide the ins and outs of the big water for the last few years and still have tons of questions every time I go out . What really bothers me and where my question comes in is many people float off or are rescued on the bay. just recently a co-worker had his truck go through in shallow water due a small spring and fog. I watched the news report online and saw the comments that people were posting and many just refereed to the man as an idiot or asked how he could be so stupid. . Finally my question why is there such a disconnect between people on this sport when most of the people that do it know the dangers and its almost impossible to take into account all the things that can happen to ice in the winter. Especially when more people have died or been injured on this body of water in the summer than in the winter, and when happens in the summer its a tragedy not just some guy being an idiot.

Comment

One thing I would like everyone to keep in mind one of the best fisherman in the field died on lake superior this weekend, probably knew the lake and ice better than most could ever hope to. Rip Jim Hudson. please send prayers to his family

Comment

I am not an ice fisherman, but knowing that ice skaters and even small animals like dogs frequently fall through the ice on a lake, I would feel quite uncomfortable driving a truck across it.
        My prayers to Jim Hudson and his family.

Comment

The problem i see is when fishermen venture on the ice when the Coast Guard has posted warnings. Then they want the Coast Guard to risk their lives to rescue them.
          Ice fishing can be rewarding, just keep it safe.

Comment

I don't know about ice fishing, but when I was taking my pilot training, the statistic was constantly stated that over 90% of plane crashes are pilot error.

I imagine that there is a cross of stupidity and complacency across the accident board. Some folks will return to a spot they've been to before, but don't realize that the conditions are changed. I wouldn't know the first thing about ice thickness unless I cut through it where I was standing. By then it would be too late.

Comment

Thanks for the comments and great analogy ableskeever. cl3 the inland lakes here get thick enough to park a 6 place enclosed trailer or camper on, with a truck infront of it. Its a sight to see.
              The bay of green bay relatively big body of water wind, plays a huge role along with current and in general shape of the ice. like able siad though its pilot error and many more flights land safely than crash everyday, and the ones that do crash may have made a slight mistake and by no means was the pilot an idiot or stupid. only human.

Comment

Ice fishing is a great sport but like swimming, it can also be highly dangerous. In some locations, the ice is plenty thick enough to drive on but you ALWAYS need to be careful. I grew up fishing on the Missouri River where the current under the ice was the biggest concern. Ice fisherman wore a tether on them and we all had the handheld spikes to help you lift yourself out of the water. The Great Lakes are especially dangerous because even very thick ice cracks up and separates at random in the Spring. I stayed off that ice because it is just too unpredictable.d

My best advice after many years of fun is to always fish with a buddy and always assume you will fall through the ice... make sure you have a good means of recovery when that happens. If there is current under the ice to drag you away from the hole, wear a tether. If you drive a car or a truck on the ice, plan how you will survive when it falls through.

Comment

When your young it's fun , when your old its just cold!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad