Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you cast little lures like crappie lures, I can never get them out far enough to do anything. Would adding a split-shot o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you cast little lures like crappie lures, I can never get them out far enough to do anything. Would adding a split-shot o

How do you cast little lures like crappie lures, I can never get them out far enough to do anything. Would adding a split-shot or two work?

Adding split shot would ruin the action of the jig. Use good spinning tackle. this means NO IN-LINE reels (aka button reels). You didn't mention what kind of tackle you use. The really light jigs are ment to be worked verticly not casted.

Comment

Adding split shot would ruin the action of the jig. Use good spinning tackle. this means NO IN-LINE reels (aka button reels). You didn't mention what kind of tackle you use. The really light jigs are ment to be worked verticly not casted.

Comment

I use a Mitchell 308 reel and 2 lb. test Abu Garcia Royal Bonnell line. With this setup I can get really long casts.

Comment

Yeah, Ncarl's pretty close on. Crappie baits are "jigged" up and down.
          Mostly, those little lures are hard to cast. Maybe flip it kinda like fly casting.

Comment

Light weight spinning gear is the best I know of to cast small baits. You need to match the rod to what you are casting and use as light a line as possible. But jigs are meant to be worked vertically as stated above... But you can also use a weighted bobber (round one works better) for some slow presentations.

Comment

Light line really helps with casting light lures, also a light-action rod. Split shot can help depending on the lure. I’ve fished small lures such as tube jigs under a slip-bobber, which helps casting distance. You can bounce the jig under the float as you bring it in. With a little wave action, you can still-fish small jigs under a bobber and let the waves create the up and down action. Just need to have them set at the right depth.

Comment

Fly fishing set ups are the answer to casting baits that do not weigh very much. Some dry flies are so light that the only way to cast them is with a fly fishing rod and reel such that the weight and the momentum of the line do the work of the cast. But ultra light spinning rigs will also cast extremely light lures very decent distances when set up properly. I like a large reel to get the biggest diameter spool as possible. Light weight line will feed off a larger diameter spool easier than a small diameter spool, therefore I often rig a Johnny Morris JM 40H reel or a JM 20H on an ultra light rod. Remember that the H denotes a high gear ratio which works good on smaller fish such as the white perch. The smaller gear ratios are intended for larger fish that display more aggressive resistance to being cranked in. The weight and size of the reel itself does not have an overall adverse effect because the reel is basically mounted at the center of gravity of the ultra light rod. Since the highly desired larger diameter of the spool will hold a whole passel of line, I use a filler line on the bottom of the spool and then use a 4 pound mono over the top of it to do the actual casting and fishing. Always pay careful attention to the wear and tear of the line because spinning reels will eventually cause permanent line twist. Badly twisted line will not cast well and is more subject to breakage.

Now that I have casting out of the way, it has been my personal experience that Sac-a-Lait are best fished with the vertical working of a small jig. Crappie love cover such as old tree tops and and vertical jigging gets the bait down through the cover to present to them.

Comment

what they said.

Comment

Use 4lb test and a light rod with a stiff spine.

Comment

A spit shot works pretty well, thats what I do when I need to get just a little bit father.

Comment

I like to use a 6’ medium rod and a light or medium-light spincast reel, due to the larger spool. Also, the size and number of eyelets on the rod make a difference, once the line gets a little bit of age to it. Line makes a huge difference as well. I typically use 4# test Trilene XL, but sometimes use a 4# test fluorocarbon...depending o the fishing conditions. I have no problems getting 40’ casts with 1/64 oz jigs and 2” curltail grubs in light wind. Good casting technique is also critical. It takes quite a bit of casting practice out on the water, but, coming from a back of the boat fisherman, that’s what it takes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                          by 99explorer
                          Trump is now asking Joe Biden to drop out of the race and concede defeat.
                          Hey! With Trump, anything is possible.

https://news.yaho...
                          Today, 11:17 PM
                        • The Horse Race
                          by rock rat
                          There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                          Today, 09:43 AM
                          by Pmacc60
                          You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                          by 99explorer
                          The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                          The economy continued
                          Today, 09:03 PM
                          by Pmacc60
                          Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                          Today, 08:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X