Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you caught a world record fish but had to kill it to claim the record would you kill it or release it and be satisfied with t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you caught a world record fish but had to kill it to claim the record would you kill it or release it and be satisfied with t

If you caught a world record fish but had to kill it to claim the record would you kill it or release it and be satisfied with the knowledge of your achievement?

depends on the type of fish if it were something large which I'm thinking your responding to the captain who killed two hammerhead sharks that contained pups then no. but with other fish such as bluegill or other small fish then you do what must be done.

Comment

Could be lots of endorsement money involved. Show me the money!

Comment

hell ya, like Jim said show me the money.

Comment

SHOW ME THE MONEY! i agree with jim. either way, i think i would kill and keep the fish.

Comment

I don't mind killing most fish and eating them or selling the meat (where allowed). I do catch and release most fish I catch but if I have a real trophy I might keep it. I certainly prefer to certify records with pictures and measurements rather than a fish carcass for some species though. For example, a giant striper or large mouth bass on a stocked pond or a bill fish on the east coast. I released the biggest bass I ever caught and just kept the picture because I could have a great mount done without the carcass and it gave someone else the opportunity to have the thrill.

Comment

If it was a fish that you dont really eat then no, well I would kill it like jim said show me the money.

Comment

kill it.

Comment

Dead Fish! World records don't happen every day!

Comment

Muskiemaster you are correct the question was inspired by the article about the sharks.
                    I personally let the fish go. I pretty much practice catch and release and have let some fish go that most people would put on the wall. The biggest was a 44" northern. (I caught it on 10lb mono in a very small river and it was more luck than anything that it didn't make it into the weeds and bust off.) I guess the trophy factor doesn't matter to me very much. I can remember the fight like it was yesterday and that is enough for me.
                    I guess I would further modify the question to ask what is the value of having your name in a book? Is it worth the life of a magnificent and unique specimen of any species? Does the money make it worth it?
                    I want to be absolutely clear that I do not look down on anyone who takes the opposite opinion. I just wanted ask the question because ethical dilemmas make for the most interesting debates.

Comment

I would probably take pictures. But to keep other people form catching it you would have to take it. This is a very good question and needs lots of debate from the right people.

Comment

i would kill it if i could eat it

Comment

There would be a dead fish and my name in the record book.

Comment

All tackle world record - Dead fish

Line class record - Depends on edibility and trophy quality

Comment

i would kill it and eat like i do withall big fish. i only release the small ones

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad